lead free solder again - Page 4

Re: lead free solder again

A few germs are very good for you !

Excessive cleankliness has been suggested as one cause for ever increasing cases
of allergies too btw.

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Graham,

cases

That's probably why my forefathers reached almost biblical ages. It was
a farming region, hog raising and all that. I can't remember a time when
there wasn't piles of manure on the main road through town. They had a
saying: "Where there is a stench, there it won't be cold. Lots of people
froze to death but nobody died from a stench". And boy did it stink in
them barns.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

Hello James,

Could have many reasons. Possible ones:

a. They don't have a clue.
b. They have poor technical advisers.
c. They have no technical advisers.
d. They don't care, they just want to look green.

CA can be strange. That's why some companies are now elsewhere. But now
at least we have Arnold who can veto the stupidest attempts to kill
businesses and jobs.

There is a lot of not-in-my-back-yard (NIMBY) behavior.

There is probably a huge difference in lobbying power. Lobbying power is
measured in campaign contribution amounts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:15:17 GMT, Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

Yep.  AZ now has Google and there was an announcement yesterday that
we're also getting Ebay.

Three cheers for the Left Coast ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

  Maybe not in this case.  Because they were invented and in use before
the Food and Drug Administration's creation, they're grandfathered --
exempt from regulation by same.  So, they're immune.

  Hydrogenation was thought quite a miracle when first invented around
1902, as the resultant artificially saturated fat ("trans fat") lasted
a lot longer.  They just didn't realize that evolution hadn't equipped
us to metabolize this new plasticized-fat properly.  It raises bad
cholesterol, and lowers the good.

  Lasting longer was important in the days before refrigeration, but
had little impact on public health because most people still ate food
fresh.  Fast food has changed that -- nowadays, some people unknowingly
eat a lot of it.  My dad, for example.  He was a doctor, fit, lean,
brilliant, and very health-conscious, but inadvertently ate a lot of
shortening/margarine/trans fats.  He died suddenly, unexpectedly, in
his prime, of heart disease.  He was 65.

  James Arthur

Re: lead free solder again

Hello James,

Sorry to hear that. Professionals like doctors or engineers often have a
tendency to worry more about the well-being of others than their own,
and eat out of necessity rather than pay attention to their diet. If I
wasn't married it would probably be the same, at least at times where
it's hectic in the office. But now we eat fresh every day, absolutely no
junk food. No matter how hectic it gets my wife will drag me out of the
office by 7:00pm for a long break and a healthy meal, and that's good.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

  Thanks.  I miss him.

  My dad would cut the fat off of meat, but loved to nibble on ginger
snaps and crackers--baked goods where trans fats often hide.[1]

  Not only good, that's a good woman as well.  You're a lucky dog
Joerg!

  Best regards,
  James Arthur

[1] Not always true though.  Since the latest science created such a
hoopla, many companies are eliminating this ingredient from their
formulas.

Re: lead free solder again

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:53:20 GMT, Joerg

Same here.  When I'm alone, "dinner" is a bottle of wine and a can of
cashews ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:41:25 -0700,

Same here. You can do a lot worse, health-wise.

BTW, I prefer my cashews un-roasted and un-salted. Even healthier!

robert

Re: lead free solder again

Cashews make me fart just as bad as beans!!!

Re: lead free solder again

   Another fact we didn't need to know.

prove it.
Re: lead free solder again

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yes!  Let's start a new campaign - RoHF:  Reduction of Hydrogenated
Fats.  All food companies must comply by July 1, 2007.  No imports to
the United States or to the European Union of non-RoHF compliant food.

Michael

Re: lead free solder again

Sure. Ban high fructose corn syrup (as used in American Coke products)
as well. Good old fashioned cane sugar as used in Mexican and Canadian
Coke tastes better and is better for you. Of course there's that corn
lobby to deal with (one of the most subsidized crops)...

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: lead free solder again

Hello Spehro,

Well, just don't drink any of that soft drink stuff. It's been years
since I had one. Cerveza is healthier IMHO ;-).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

  Until recently, I used to point out that gasoline was cheaper than
Coke as a measure of how cheap gasoline was.  Odd that people are upset
about the price of the useful and valuable commodity that provides all
sorts of useful work, then happily pay as much or more for another,
whose consumption is completely voluntary, and which gives them no
value in return.

  In my reading, yes, cerveza is healthier--an ounce or two of alchohol
daily seems to increase HDL cholesterol ('good' cholesterol), and
reduces risk of heart disease.  Soft drinks make you fat, make LDL, and
increase risk of diabetes and heart disease.

  Best,
  James Arthur

Re: lead free solder again

Hello James,

Once when in college I visited my parents not by driving there but using
the bicycle for the 70 miles and back. I found that the "cost of fuel"
was much higher than that for my car. This was in the 80's in Europe
where gas cost already about as much as it does in the US now. Around
$3/gallon. Problem was that the bicycle went on autopilot everytime it
saw a nice pub where they had Hefeweizen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

  Shame on you, eating all that food, causing all that global warming!
:-)

  Hefeweizen?  My all-time favorite was Pilsner-Urquell, smuggled from
Czechoslavakia over the East German Iron Curtain by a special forces
spook, who'd traded weapons for it.  He was kind enough to give my dad
a modest share of the booty.  I've had some of the imported version,
and it isn't anything close, not even very good, IIRC.

  Another fave was the local Weissenohe, guaranteed 13% alchohol
content, and Zirndorfer gets an honorable mention.  I brought back some
of each in my luggage as a gift for a friend's father, but it didn't
survive the trip.  He opened one and gave me the first taste.  I was
humiliated--the beer was ruined--but he was thrilled: it was still
absolutely the best beer he'd ever tasted.

  Best Regards,
  James

Re: lead free solder again

That's OK, Joerg - Beer is Food. ;-)

So, what kind of time did you make? I think I can hit about 5 MPH on a
bike. ;-) (well, maybe 15 if I want to break a sweat.) ;-)

But if I had a 70-mile trip ahead of me, I'd plan it very carefully,
and plan on a couple of days to finish the trip - especially if it was
in the kind of territory where the "refueling stations" [  ;-) ] are
so abundant. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Rich,

I got a speeding ticket on that bicycle. Forgot how fast but IIRC it
must have been well above 30km/h (about 20mph) because it was a road
works and that's the usual limit over there in the cone zones. Passed a
few cars and overlooked that one of them had a blue hump on it. Ouch.

Started around 8:00am and arrived after dark. With a whole lot of
breaks, plus I had to slow down at the end because the rear wheel didn't
like the luggage I carried. The spokes started to snap and the resulting
imbalance began to shake things pretty good.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

Oh, hell, f**king _WATER_ is like twelve bucks a gallon, if you buy those
little 12-ounce bottles of "spring" water.

Cheers!
Rich

Site Timeline