lead free solder again

Hello Klaus,

Ok, thanks. Got that paper now but will have to study a little later since I just received a box of prototypes for debug. Full of 0402, not exactly fun. Luckily assembled on a non-RoHS line so no whiskers ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snippage]
[snippage]

Exactly, it is the fear of the unknown. I don't worry about the QC VPs

- that's a big company issue. I worry about the health of small companies. This has the possibility of financially straining small companies if they end up with a couple years worth of failed equipment that's under warranty due to lead-free issues. With all the 0.5mm pitch parts we're using now, you bet I'm fearful of the unknown issues with lead-free in industrial equipment designed to last for >10 years.

--
Mark
Reply to

This is like saying George Bush does what the 'Merican public wants him to do.

Reply to
qrk

I was just reading about exemptions and I saw an inference that 'process control' equipment is exempt.

Ought to look into it further.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I like this historical summary:

John Popelish

"qrk" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Is that not true then? He was elected for a 2nd period.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

"qrk" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

the

Is it possible to buy an insurance against such warranty disasters? Make it a book keepers problem.

What about conformal coating? Not a bad idea anyway, for industrial circuit boards.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

I see you're one of those 'cost isn't an issue' guys !

Bloody typical.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In article , Frank Bemelman wrote: [....]

Conformal coating is a horrid idea. Put the circuit boards in a housing that protects them. From what I've seen coating just adds another way to screw up.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Frank Bemelman wrote: [...]

.... but did that lead come from the little bit thats in solder or was it from all that lead paint that was being scraped and the gasoline etc?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Metal whiskers are very crystalline, and are hundreds if not thousands times stronger than even pure metal sheet or rod.

Reply to
Robert Baer

This is all very interesting and stuff, but has anybody ever actually made tin whiskers "on purpose", to maybe study them?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You don't need to. They just spring up anyway .

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

The

of

shitloads

It's true that costs were never my first priority. But if tin wiskers is what worries you, I though that coating is perhaps something that make you sleep better at night. You can save a few nickles if you only coat the edges of your TQFP's with coating.

Anyway, you have the choice.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

in

They are also hundreds if not thousand times thinner than pure metal sheet or rod. Probably softer than the hairs on your wife's arm ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:35:22 GMT, Joerg wrote in Msg.

Do you actually believe that the failures will reach "epidemic proportions"?

The way I see it, whisker growth only affects un-annealed, Sn- electroplated Cu surfaces. Not solder joints. And don't forget the boost the RoHS directive gives to solid state physics research.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

For what I do, I'm more interested in poor joint durability.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Have you ever seen what hairs can grow through ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

Eh, guess not. Any particular place I should look for?

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 02:44:25 GMT, Robert Baer wrote in Msg.

What makes you think so? Single-crystal metals are much softer than their multicrystalline forms -- that's the mechanism of work-hardening.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest