lead free solder again

I saw some pictures of those "tin whiskers", and I didn't know the
problem was so great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_whiskers

So... is Airbus required to go for lead-free solder too, for RoHS and
all that...?

Hoo-boy... if so, wouldn't want to fly on any Airbus aircraft built
after 2006, then...

Michael

Re: lead free solder again

Military, medical & aerospace were the first exemptions granted - even the
brain-dead arseholes who passed this crap know how dangerous lead free
solder is!!!

Re: lead free solder again

Hello Ian,

Err, if the 2nd sentence under the last table in this link still holds
true Michael might have a point:
http://www.newark.com/services/rohs/exemptions.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: lead free solder again

Hmm... about that "some equipment used within an aircraft is within the
scope"... are they referring to the equipment used to play the
in-flight movies, or are they referring to the navigation equipment,
transponder, equipment to activate the flaps, rudder, etc.?

Michael

Re: lead free solder again

That should be a clear cut case of in flight entertainment equipment isn't
aerospace equipment.

Re: lead free solder again

Europe has mad politician disease!!!!!

Re: lead free solder again

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:19:54 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Joerg

Hmm, had a few beers, but, maybe we should **Insist** that

"servers, storage and storage array systems, network infrastructure
equipment for switching, signalling, transmission as well as network
management for telecommunications"    must be lead  free.

Why should something that just contains data be exempt

There seems to be unstated assumptions about the quality of domestic
products over industrial products and life span.

Sorry, run out of neurons, OK the idea needs some work....Just
inverting the argument can cause some "fun"

martin

Re: lead free solder again

   Because the politicians want to make sure the computers can print
their paychecks on time.

prove it.
Re: lead free solder again

So it is really government enforced planned obsolescence.

--
JosephKK
Re: lead free solder again

Several product sectors have been exempted. Tells it all really.
http://www.pb-free.info/rohsexemptions.htm

If avionics aren't in there ( possibly covered by other legislation ) it'll be a
worry given the high levels of vibration.

Some bright spark applied for an exemption for pro-audio ( no doubt on the basis
that ppl expect the stuff to last longer than 2-5 yrs ).

Shame that the video guys weren't so well on the ball !

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:31:13 +0100, in sci.electronics.design Eeyore

Video doesn't exist, these days, its just a DSP function, so its
covered by the server " Gottcha"

martin

Re: lead free solder again

be a
basis

Oh it does exist. It's just a bit different. Think eng for example. Then there's
broadcast video mixers and the like.

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

Personally I would like to see a blanket exemption for any product which has
a warranty exceeding 10 years (probably with the companies contributing to
some kind of insurance scheme to ensure that the warranty will be honoured,
rather than giving an unfair advantage to companies that know in advance
that they don't intend to be around in 10 years' time).

People seem inclined to buy crap that is designed to fail in a few weeks
whether it's lead free or not.  That kind of junk probably should be lead
free, (and people should have the brains not to buy it also) but if a
manufacturer makes a decent effort to build a reliable product and give a
good warranty then it makes sense to allow them to use the most reliable
materials particularly since it will in any case be mandatory to recycle
this stuff when it does need replacing.

Chris

Re: lead free solder again

Boeing too. They contracted quite a few systems out to EU suppliers on
the 787.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: lead free solder again

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:14:20 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."

  Even the fucktard EU knows when not to use pure tin CRAP.

Re: lead free solder again

On 10 Jul 2006 15:02:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

  I am almost absolutely certain that avionics is in the exempt list.

Re: lead free solder again

I believe it's not actually *exempted* but doesn't fall into the RoHS remit !

Typical damn legalese nonsense. I suspect automotive gets off like that too (
covered by other legislation ). It's a totally ridiculous mire of paperwork
invented by the moronic fatheads in Brussels.

Graham

Re: lead free solder again

I've actually saw some tin coated boards with whiskers almost as bad as
that. There are some pics on the net with whiskers over 1 cm in length.
Also note that tin dendrite growth and tin whiskers are NOT the same thing.

Re: lead free solder again

The bigger problem, is that while industry sectors can get exemptions,
it's becoming very difficult to get leaded components any more. Many
vendors have simply dropped them. And we are now starting to see that
many vendors will never be making new parts in a leaded option. So
unless the aerospace manufacturers have hangers full of leaded parts,
the exemption is no use. And even if they do have good stocks, they
will be locked into 2005/06 technology.

Maybe the problem will be solved when the first Airbus full of
Euro-crats crashes as a result of tin whiskers or tin pest?

Barry Lennox

Re: lead free solder again

Tin whiskers have nothing to do with lead-free or non lead-free parts.
It only depends on what kind of solder you are using.

Klaus

Site Timeline