Lead Acid battery Monitor

Hi, I am trying to monitor a 12 volt 3.2 Ah Yuasa lead acid battery to prevent deep cycle discharge in a standby battery, does anyone know what the minimum voltage is that I can discharge to, without damaging the battery. Many Thanx

Reply to
Jim Crow

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Reply to
Jim Crow

Depends a bit on the current but 10.5V is generally safe

Regards

AJ

Reply to
AJ

I am no expert, but it may be possible that the damage is accumlative, so the more times you discharge heavily, the less capable is the battery of holding its next charge.

I would take the yuasa figures as the " never ever exceed, preferably dont even get close". Maybe wkipedia will help, now that google is past its sell by date

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I think I used about 10.5 volts under whatever load...

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

You can measure the intercell voltages by using lead probes in the battery acid.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Is 10.5 volts at 25degC not the 100% discharged figure?

I thought the intention was not to deep cycle the battery?

The battery manufacturer will be the best place to get the info as all "lead acid" batteries are not the same.

Note that these batteries have a temperature dependence that should not be ignored when monitoring voltages. There ia also a shift in voltage with age and condition....

Texas, Unitrode, Vishay and others have application notes that will be useful. See UC3906 app notes.

More than you wanted to know

Jake

Reply to
Jake