LCD screen inputs?

I have a portable DVD player with a 6.5" LCD screen. I want to add video and audio inputs to it so my kid can use his PS2 in the car (1000 mi. trip around christmas). I don't have a schematic so I'm poking around trying to find a spot to inject video. So far I've found 4 electrolytics with video on them, I've remove each one so I could inject video on one side or the other. None of these where the right place, either I didn't lose video on the screen or I lost sync but not the video. So now I'm at the ribbon cable that feeds the LCD, I find a video signal on one pin and on another pin I find video stripped of sync. I am ignorant about LCD displays, can someone inform me about the typical signals that are fed to an LCD display.

DVD Player Venturer PVS1262

Mike

Reply to
amdx

DVD player probably does not even have anything resembling 'standard' video internally.

Buy one of these:

Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

On a sunny day (Fri, 8 Dec 2006 19:35:13 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Forget it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I found many solder connection points with 'standard' video, I think my problem is I'm not far enough upstream to open the circuit and put in my own video. Regarding your ebay reference, I don't need to leave my city to get a new LCD, The DVD player I have cost me $20.00. The one you cited is $145 plus $42 shipping from Hong Kong to the US. But thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

Can you expand on that a bit? Could it be that the screen is to slow for a video game? Could it be that you also think there is no "standard" video in the DVD player? Generally if I see a post from you, ( Jan Panteltje) I will read it, because you have useful comments. So c'mon, how bout a little help. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Mike,

I am sorry you don't understand why everyone is telling you, you can not do this.

I see you want to do this, but the limitations are too great.

Its the signals inside the DVD player. The signals to the DVD player screen is digital. The signals comming off the DVD media is digital. The signals comming off the PS2 video game is analog.

There is no simple way to connect this analog signal to the digital DVD player. Let alone how your DVD player may have implimented its internal logic.

sorry, can't be done

Will need to buy another device to get what you want. But I have not seen an analog/digital player.

Good Luck,

Have a good trip.

donald

Reply to
Donald

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Dec 2006 06:50:14 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Sure, but yo ushould very likely still forget about it :-)

Thank you, I try, but have my limits and am rather old so plenty new stuff I do not know.

As about the DVD player, look if it has a TV composite output. If it does, then it _would_be_possible_ they use a cheap PAL or NTSC LCD. For example my Mustek mpeg4 digital video camera with 2 inch LCD seems to do that, it has composite out too, and as far as I could dissect it the LCD viewfinder runs on that same output. If no composite out, or if the LCD does not run on that, the DVD format are in no way compatible to analog TV format (625 lines or NTSC lines etc). The output from the DVD is decoded mpeg2 and that gives Y Cr Cb. If they did it right (nice picture) then there is a driver chip for the LCD that accepts the Y Cr Cb, or maybe even R, G, B. If you measure on the LCD itself, then there can be several signals, depending on the LCD type, perhaps R, G, B and scanning. The H frequency will not be compatible with those of analog NTSC or PAL.

If you can look inside (you did) and get the chip numbers, and try a websearch with google (I found some other LCD driver chips for a LCD I have that way), then you could see what pins carry what signal from the datasheets.

Regards Jan

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes it has a composite output and seperate left and right audio outputs.

It does and I find composite video being fed to the LCD via a ribbon cable, also on the ribbon cable is video stripped of vertical sync. (I don't get that?) Additional info, the LCD can be switched form wide screen to standard format.

I'll try looking up the chips, Thanks for the info, Mike

Reply to
amdx

I found some info on the chip, (no pinout numbers) I don't like poking around a

200 and some pin IC with what must seem like a huge probe from the chip perspective. The literature says "video encoder capable of outputting YPbPr, RGB,Composite, or S-Video. The block diagram shows an output labeled "Video Out, Progressive or interlaced. I'll start poking around later this evening. Chip number ZR36762 Thanks, Mike
Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Dec 2006 10:22:54 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Probably stripped of vertical and horizontal sync. If it is there 3 times it could be red green and blue, else it could even be R, G, B multiplexed.

The question is, is there a specific driver chip, for example I have a HX8801 (Himax, pdf is on the net) that is for very small LCDs, and accepts composite in.

Yes, and perhaps even from flip / left right (called reverse scan) :-)

You are welcome, let us know what you find, and if you can get it to do video in.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PSONE LCD monitor. About 30$ on eBay. How much time have you spent on this already? Just buy the thing.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

And spoil all this fun and intrigue, not until I break this one! Mike

Reply to
amdx

I taped the smallest needle my wife had to the tip of my scope probe and started probing around the 200 plus pins of the IC. With my wife helping (now an expert on the image of video on the scope) , she looked at the scope, I looked at the pins (contacts in, glasses on, optivisor down, loupe rotated into position). And I said now, she said no, now, no, now, no. Ok, I started at the wrong end, the very last six pins of the chip had either composite video or 3 pins with video minus sync. These three pins must be the red, green, blue you referenced earlier. So I cut the foil that had the composite video, I looked at the LCD and darn, it has lost sync but still has video. So now I think that the LCD is driven with R, G, and B and I won't be able to install a video input. The moral of the story---

Forget it.

hmm. You know, that chip might just have an input for external video to drive the LCD, and another pin tells it which input to look at. hmm. Thanks for the help, Mike

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:41:22 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Yes and I wanted to write, if there is no second driver chip for the LCD, then the scanning and RGB come directly from one chip, and do not bother to scope the pins..... But you already did... Yes it is easy to slip the probe. Hoe you can fix that foil again ;-( thats not easy now is it?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There was a time when I fixed a lot of cracked pcbs with open foils, back then they were .025" and more in width, scrape them clean, tin and lay a wire across the gap and solder. Near as I can tell this foil was .008" in width. I found a scrap of stranded wire, removed the insulation and pulled one strand free, it just happened to be .008" in diameter. I did plan ahead for the repair, I made the cut in an area that would be easier to get my fingers and soldering iron into. It took two trys to get the wire to stay where I wanted it. With wire that small it wants to stick to the iron tip. Anyway it was a fun experience, it's been about 6 years since my job was working on pcbs, cut my teeth repairing 1/2 reel to reel video tape machines, in the early 70s. Then the world went to Umatic 3/4" VCRs, Wow. And just look, now they have the whole thing, display, storage media and player all in the same footprint as that 3/4" Umatic cassette tape! Sure wish I could find a pinout of that IC. It does so much, I'm sure it has a video input pin! See the pdf at,

Thanks again, Mike

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Sun, 10 Dec 2006 06:51:30 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Yes, I have tried to, with varying success, my vision is not as good as it once was, one should have a stereo microscope with low magnification for things like this.

mm I worked on quadruplex (Ampex to be precise), the rest too of course.

that drawer you see extended on the right is the timebase corrector ;-) Yes those are all PCBs. And before that I workled with these:
that cabinet next to it is full of tubes! then we had these, all transistor:
then these:
and then these:
After that helical scan started taking over.

Now I have a mpeg4 camera that records almost an hour on 1GB SD card, it fits in a shirt pocket. LOL

Yes, I already looked up the chip, clearly it interfaces the LCD directly, so

100% sure with RGB. There will not be a video input on that chip ,as there is no composite decoder needed for this application.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You might have missed the post where I said, "(contacts in, glasses on, optivisor down, loupe rotated into position)" there was no exageration in that statement. Someday I'm going buy those glasses that doctors use, The ones that have the lens sticking out, they get the magnification and don't need to be 3" from there work.

I thought since the chip can be used in DVD receivers, DVD+VCR combos and DVD TV combos that it might accept input video and convert it to R,G,B. Going to work now, Later Mike

Reply to
amdx