LCD Mounting

I really must be missing something here...

How do you mount an LCD character type display to any of these commonly available, pre-fab plastic housings? Particularly the ones that already have a cut-out for the display. Such as this one:

Do you think the designers have a clue about electronics? 'Cause every way I look at this, mounting the LCD is going to be a PITA.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

There are many varieties of shapes for the LCD displays. It looks you have to do a little handcrafting of the holder. I've than on my one off projects.

Al

Reply to
Al

yep a nightmare, I use powertip datasheets, as they have very simple drawings that suit me fine, Denstitron datasheets were disgusting, almost impossible to get the dimensions figured out

Pactec are good, so are the hammond 1455 series

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

--
Usually, with four standoffs/spacers and appropriate fasteners.
Reply to

See post with same subject in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic for a jpg.

The designers of these boxes have no idea what this box will be use with.

Its up to you, mpm.

donald

Reply to
donald

--
Ugh...
Reply to

Ouch !!!

If you are correct, which display did they (the plastic people) use as a model ??

Why didn't those engineers put in bosses to hold the display in the correct position ??

I am sorry, I just don't buy it.

Close, but no cigar.

donald

Reply to
donald

jpg.

h.

the

With all that said, honestly, I would have been just as happy if they would have provided a part number for an LCD guaranteed to fit the enclosure. Preferably from one of the better known LCD manufacturers.

I do like this particular PacTec enclosure, and I can probably engineer a workaround to mount the LCD (still looking for better options), but you would think an enclosure provider would benefit by supplying a product that avoids the time-suck of having to fiddle with it.

Update: I've now tried about 15 common LCD (2x16) and NONE of them are a perfect fit. Some are reasonably close, but will still require modification of the enclosure to mount.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Why don't you ask them? They have phone, email and web inquiry screen.

I am sure they can sell you their custom LCD or custom mold the panel for you, if you buy enough from them.

Engineerings and Marketings are often very different. Showing their sample enclosures does not mean they really want to sell them. Welcome to the real world.

Reply to
linnix

I have had this same problem for years.

I have asked other plastic companies about this, and I got that answer I shared.

So picking a box should be the first priority in doing a new project.

donald

Reply to
donald

Designing a box should be the first priority. Plastic boxes cost less than one dollar, if you design and manufacturing (outsourcing) them. If you need to drill a couple of holes in OTS boxes, it would cost more than one dollar.

Your one dollar enclosure is protecting your hundred dollars hardware/ software/whatever more than physically. People don't seem to understand why they can't just buy the iphone case for a dollar, since it cost less than a dollar to make them.

Good to see an experienced Engineer here. Many people here want to market their ideas without paying anything.

Reply to
linnix