lawn tractor question

MTD Products, Inc. Model # 13am675g062 14.5hp Briggs & Stratton.

I lost the keys to this lawn tractor and ordered another ignition switch, which had 5 terminals while the original had 6. I put it on anyway, turned the key, heard a faint spark and nothing happened. Later I found the keys to the old ignition switch, put it back on, turned the key and nothing happened.

__ __ __ red green red/black __ __ yellow red/white __ orange

The hash marks are terminals. The new ignition switch lacks the red/black.

With my meter I mad a truth table for both of the switches.

old ignition switch

( \ ) OFF red/black =| red/white red/black = red red/white = red all others open

( | ) RUN red/black = green red/black = yellow green = yellow all others open

( / ) START green = yellow green = orange yellow = orange all others open

new ignition switch ( \ ) OFF green = orange all others open

( | ) RUN red = red/white all others open

( / ) START yellow = red/white yellow ~ red all others open

where = means the two wires connect through the ignition switch, and ~ means the connection is neither open nor closed but has some resistance.

Testing the wires on the plug that plugs into the ignition switch, none have voltage. Red, green and yellow are all grounded. Orange is grounded too when the clutch pedal is depressed. The tractor battery is 12 volts and fully charged.

=====

I cut the red/white wire which left two ends. On the end that goes to the ignition switch, I wired it directly to the positive terminal of the battery.

I cut the yellow wire which left two ends. On the end that goes to the ignition switch, I wired it directly to the solenoid coil.

I cut the orange wire and left the connection open.

I cut the green wire and left the connection open.

I left the red/black wire off and the connection open.

I didn't cut the red wire and left the connection closed.

I jumped the yellow wire with the red wire.

====

When 12 volts goes to the red wire a relay clicks somewhere down in the engine. I suspect it to be the engine kill relay, N.C. SPST.

====

As a result, the tractor starts and runs for a few seconds, but then stalls.

Where did I go wrong? Can any of you make any sense of this?

Jon Giffen Tall grass in Bellaire, OH

Reply to
Jon

rned

eys

ack.

means

ave

too

the

ls.

Clean your air filter.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Always cut the blue wire.

Reply to
krw

I hope that you end up in that situation and that you chose the blue wire.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Don't mislead the guy, The left front tire is low on air, raise it 4psi.

Reply to
amdx

Aw, isn't DimBulb cute? Now run along and play in mommy's hamper, li'l AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Probably a 2 stage fuel system via the start position and run position..

electric fuel pump not staying on ?

Reply to
Jamie

No it can't be, a lot of those have have hard rubber tires on the front. Most likely a back tire, offsetting the level sensor..

Reply to
Jamie

I successfully rewired the ignition system to the tractor and it works now. All the safety switches were bypassed but they were a pain in the ... anyway. If I'm mowing sideways on a hill and sit on the uphill side of the seat, the safety doesn't cut the engine. Furthermore when I go in reverse with the mower on, it doesn't cut the engine. I got the yard 1/3 mowed now.

The purpose of this is to provide people with the same model tractor with the same problem a solution so it works.

Bunch of freakin lazy jokesters. None of you took the time out to help me, but I took the time out to help other people with the same problem.

Reply to
Jon

Fine, until you fall off the rider and it chugs it's way over to some one and runs them or you over..

Talk about a free hair cut. Also, cars love seeing run away lawn mowers.

Reply to
Jamie

Tightly tie a good fiber string (plastic twine) to the spark plug wire cap, and then string it up to the tractor hood. Emergency rip-cord.

Reply to
Perenis

Oh! I reviewed, it is an MTD.

Reply to
amdx

rned

eys

ack.

means

ave

too

the

ls.

I lost my keys too, so I used a small flat blade screwdriver instead. regards, al

Reply to
mickgeyver