Latency Graph

The CDC publishes data on the new infections each day tracked by the day th e person was originally infected. I didn't notice right away they provide this data each day in a one line table I can copy off to a spread sheet. F or some reason they didn't update this over the weekend.

I have three days of data in a chart and it shows changes in the count each day even going back a month! So it is very clear that the number of infec tions reported on any given day is vastly different from the true number. As of 3/19 the peak day of new infections was 3/9 at 194. Today that same day is reported as 559 new infections. Clearly the date people show as inf ected is very different from the date they were actually infected, by up to two weeks!

What is the impact of that on the counts we see every day? I'm thinking a multiplier of at least 3, likely more.

The numbers that really matter are those they don't release that I've seen. That's the number of hospital beds and ICU beds in use by CV19 patients. They're the numbers that will have an impact on the functioning of the hos pitals. None of the other stuff means much because we don't know how many infected there are and we don't know what the infection rate is and we don' t know what the mortality rate is. But we know how many hospital beds we h ave and how many ICU beds we have. I'd like to see how the CV19 patients a re taxing these numbers. Everything else is really just a means of getting this info.

Well, that and the death counts, but those they publish.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

the person was originally infected. I didn't notice right away they provid e this data each day in a one line table I can copy off to a spread sheet. For some reason they didn't update this over the weekend.

See my earlier comment about how, if this Covid-19 thing was such a big dea l, was it asking too much for the CDC to open on the weekends?

(The comment, in response to a notice on the CDC website that they would on ly update totals 4PM Mon-Fri). WTF?

They should be working around-the-clock on this one!!

Also, the Tampa Tribune (I think?) ran an article that Florida's reported n umbers are borderline incomprehensible because cases come and go off the li sts without comment, some re-appearing days later at new cases. And there' s no consistency to the methodology either: One day the numbers are by tota l number of cases by type and outcome, the next it's reported geographicall y, or by onset of illness, etc.. No way to correlate.

Maybe it's fixed now (I doubt it). But no matter since I ALWAYS take numbers I hear from the Internet and "big government" with high skepticism.

Reply to
mpm

Yes, the data is terrible. And the distribution of test kits is changing dynamically.

This site is nice:

Click on a country on the left, then lower right "daily increase." Interesting trends.

In the book I'm re-reading, Barry's The Great Influenza, Johns Hopkins plays a major role in the development of scientific medicine, and in the great 1918 epidemic.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

The web page seems to be adding new features. On the left panel, at the bottom, click on "Admin 3". You should see a list of US counties sorted by confirmed cases. Death totals and recovered appear in the upper right panel. Looks like they're working on it as I type as a few things have changed in the last few minutes.

What bothers me is the RATE of increase in the US. Go back to the list of countries in the left panel (click on Admin 1). You should see the "confirmed" graph in the lower right. Notice that the slope (rate of increase) in confirmed cases is steeper for the US than for Italy, Spain, and Germany. That's a measure of the effectiveness of our containment measures, compared to these other countries. However, there's a problem with comparing the rate of increase using these graphs. The vertical scale is different for each country making visual comparisons potentially misleading.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Keep in mind that few countries have had the same testing issues we did ear ly on. We claim to be up the testing curve which may be true compared to t he UK and similar countries that also don't test unless you have symptoms a nd contact with an infected person or place. So the actual count of infect ed early on in the US is higher by a larger amount earlier on when we did l ess testing... I suppose. Who the hell knows?

This has been such a cluster f*ck between Trump treating it like he could k eep it out without a doubt but not testing enough people to know who it was being transmitted to and a lack of shut down orders pretty much everywhere , but especially in New York then on top of all that many people not taking it seriously enough on top of a shortage of testing kits to allow detectio n of infected individuals with the disease.

Too bad the border wall wasn't done in time. That certainly would have kep t it out.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

y the person was originally infected. I didn't notice right away they prov ide this data each day in a one line table I can copy off to a spread sheet . For some reason they didn't update this over the weekend.

eal, was it asking too much for the CDC to open on the weekends?

only update totals 4PM Mon-Fri). WTF?

numbers are borderline incomprehensible because cases come and go off the lists without comment, some re-appearing days later at new cases. And ther e's no consistency to the methodology either: One day the numbers are by to tal number of cases by type and outcome, the next it's reported geographica lly, or by onset of illness, etc.. No way to correlate.

ig government" with high skepticism.

Have you seen this?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Can you find a web site that properly shows that map, preferably the origination site? It is not readable at the news websites.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It is customized for Florida. Contact the TV station to see if they will tell you their source. I had posted the link for MPM, since we are both in Florida.

Michael Terrell

The "daily increase" graph is apparently absolute number of new cases detected each day. The "confirmed" is its integral.

Looking at a lot of countries dailies, one can almost see peaking. Let's hope so.

I am reminded that, to make it into these statistics, C19 must be confirmed by a test, and test kit production is still ramping up.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Maybe here:

mpm

Much of the peaking and subsequent drop in infection rate is caused by the availability and subsequent non-availability of testing kits. The only numbers I consider minimally reliable are the death count. As more test kits become available, I would expect to see a drastic increase in the slope of the graphs.

There's a similar plague tracking site from the University of Washington at: This URL previously pointed to the John Hopkins page. Click on "Situational Heatmap" and then to "US Rank" or "Global Rank". Click on the small graphs and the graph should appear in the left panel.

Also see: The table has a choice of "Now" and "Yesterday" which better show the increases.

Idiocy and stupidity are not a government monopoly as demonstrated by these people: "Pastor again defies state order not to hold large gatherings. He says

1,000 people came to his church Sunday"

I'm getting the feeling that China will soon be the only nation left that is able to help anyone.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Many old people die every year from flu and such. Until test kits were available for C9, none of the deaths could be attributed to C9.

Maybe we're graphing test kits. Of course we can expect more positive tests when we deploy more test kits.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't think we're tracking test kits. Roughly 50-75% the people tested test negative for the virus. Some numbers for test results: Note that some states to NOT release negative test result.

"2.9 Percent of Minnesotans Tested for COVID-19 Have Tested Positive"

"22 Percent of New York State Residents Tested for Coronavirus are Positive, Ohio Refuses to Release Negative Test Data So No One Knows Rate in State"

California currently shows that we're doing about 1,000 tests per day. With a population of 40 million, everyone will be tested once within

110 years. Maybe it would be better if we setup a state lottery or auction to see who gets tested first? With the FCC spectrum auctions and the state lottery funded schools, it should be too difficult convince people that this is the new definition of "fair and equitable".

Testing only those whom the doctors suspect might have the virus (and celebrities), is not showing numbers indicative of a pandemic. I would have expected much higher positive test results. I can conjure plenty of possible explanations, but the one that worries me is that the current tests or testing methods don't work as advertised.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Wow! He sounds like maybe he is finally getting it.