Larkin, Power BASIC cannot be THAT good:

I heard both Shockley and Teller speak when I was a grad student. Both were pretty creepy. (Teller was still debating Bethe, though both were in their 80s.)

On the other hand, I used to share an office wall with Bob Dennard, the inventor of dynamic memory. (He was a couple of offices down on the other side.) Nice guy--ready to help anybody.

The guy who designed the first H-bomb used to work at Watson too--Dick Garwin. He was a grad student at Los Alamos in the '50s, and designed the first one by hand--Ivy Mike it was, I think

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Brattain was very nice. I was a high-school student and won a trip to Bell Labs in a science fair, and I guess one of his functions was to have lunch with brats like us. I did "meet" Teller at LLNL, as we were both going through security to get in. He was old and frail and they treated him like God.

I knew one of the inventors of cmos imager chips. The first ones were just standard drams with the lids removed, with refresh leakage making

2-level images. Can't remember his name now.

I almost met Lyndon Johnson once. How's that?

Had lunch at the next table from Craig, the Craigslist guy; ditto John Madden. Both talked a lot. Madden was more interesting.

I did meet Johnny Weismuller at a bar in New Iberia, Louisiana. Top that!

So, the rich and famous and Nobel prize winners eat and drink the same stuff that we do.

John

I played for Coach Madden, does that count?

Jim

ditto John

Reply to
RST Engineering - JIm

John Bardeen was very nice too. My mother knew him fairly well (he was a faculty member with my father, though they didn't know each other well). My mother said that in a crowded room, he would have been voted the least likely to be a (double) Nobel winner.

My wife's third cousin (or maybe my MIL's, can't remember).

Reply to
krw

:

ideas?

postgresql-8.1.4.tar.bz2

my

the

I read it the first pass and said to my self, i better read between the lines. The consultant could afford to be generous, you accomplished 6 months of their work in 6 days. That sounds a lot like the crazy gyrations i went through to publish to the design people the space qualified parts data bases. Complete with the IT department who wanted to do it in CODASYL databases and charge about 4 person years for it. I piled kludge on kludge until i got something that was just barely acceptable in 6 months by myself.

Reply to
JosephKK

We were actually in the Oval Office, waiting for him, when something happened and he had to split. We did see his fat behind running across the lawn to get into a helicopter.

Gave us the Viet Nam war, he did. And The Great Society.

John

The worst part of the Vietnam War, anyway. Yep, by wife whacks me every time I tell someone she's related to him. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Hence Microsoft - the McDonalds of the software industry.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

off

or

Great for printed graphics, less useful for on-screen graphics.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Oh, steady on! - It's not *that* bad!

True, but it's no harder to cope with than an RPN calculator, & I'm sure that most people here would have no trouble with one of those.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

As I've said here before, PostScript is FORTH with FP & graphics.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Indeed, & that's best-practice in FORTH, for example. But the main reason that PS uses FP is for device independence, so that the same image will output correctly to any device, regardless of the page size or resolution.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Reply to
Bob Larter

Nearly all of that is due to the particular languages implementation of its equivalent to printf+io.h.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Oh, that's excellent. ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

It can. I wrote a VB app to pull data from a Borland C++ DLL which ran a laser-scanning confocal microscope back in '95 or so.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

finishes

Hell, I grew up up with the MS 8KB ROM BASIC versions, & they're not compatible with *anything*.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Well, Slashdot readers are mostly idiots anyway.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Hey! Don't knock Mac's! They're good, nutritious food, and tasty, too!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And you can order one, and have it handed to you on a tray with a Coke, faster than Windows will start up.

John