laptop as a stopwatch with an external switch

Could I get your help?

I'd like to set up some type of timing system for the individual players on my soccer team to measure themselves when they are doing sprints (5 - 10 secs with tenth of second accuracy).

Some type of button/switch/beam that the kid's feet would start the timer with and something similar at the finish to stop the timer that would be good. It would need to be combined with software that would display the elasped time as well as save/log it to view later.

My goal would be for the "system" to be easy for me to put together for a reasonable cost. Something off the shelf would be ideal, or if there is some idea that wouldn't be hard to assemble that would work also. I don't have any great programming skills.

thanks, Ron RGRAHAM1 at MAINE dot RR dot COM

Reply to
Ron

This is a possible start

Fred Bloggs

The simplest software setup might be using the serial port to input an event into the computer and record the start/stop time for each event. I made a simple program for a bicycle wheel revolution counter using the free just basic (discussion link below) programming application. The hardware is simple. Just touching the serial port Rx and RTS lines together puts an event in the serial port input buffer. Monitoring the input buffer for an event and noting the time of each event would make for a timing setup.

Si Ballenger

Large display cheap LCD stopwatch + 2 x security mat switch pads.

Hack the stopwatch and wire a pad across start & stop switches.

Years ago Radiospares sold a suitable stopwatch / timer, about the size of a calculatlor. It worked well - easy to set up, use & abuse.

Reply to
rob