Knobs for rotary encoders

I'm in quest for 30-35mm diameter, 10-12mm height, ivory or light gray knobs of the kind used on instrument using rotary encoders. Couldn't find anything yet.

Any ideas?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

The machine shop. :-)

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Winfield Hill a écrit :

I'd prefer not. Have just found this one:

but color isn't good (it's natural Al, or black anodized) and at a hefty $23. What do they think?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

To go with your stock of encoders? They're not weighted, are they?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

I've got quite a few 32mm diameter ~15mm high black anodize encoder knobs with metal (aluminum) knurled shell over plastic (for 6mm metric D-shaft push-on). Maybe you could paint them. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Fred Bartoli a écrit :

Finally mouser had the clue.

Keywords are : knob + finger or fingertip + spinner.

Lots of good hits, first of which is

Thanks,
Fred.
Reply to
Fred Bartoli

This uses a Rogan PT-5, costs $1.17.

We did a lot of testing and decided that a smaller knob is easier to use. You can "twirl" it between your fingers and get a lot faster spin, when you need it, than you can with a bigger official-spinner knob.

John

The flat type with a finger depression might be better, but they are hard to find. Otherwise, I think ~15mm is better. What size is that one? Is it collet type?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This one is 19 mm at the base, tapered a bit, brass insert with setscrew. It's a little rubbery feeling, nice to grab and spin while you're looking at something else, like a scope screen. We tested some of the things with the finger depression and found them fairly awkward to use... to spin them very far, you wind up swiping them along the side of the knob a bunch of times, rather then trying to spin the slippery depression, which challenges my manual dexterity. Not to mention expensive. Well, OK, I mentioned it.

15 mm would probably work even better, but it's starting to look less manly.

John

Big knobs were a problem, so I cast a few in gleaming white Polyester resin. :)

john jardine

You might check with Mouser about pricing on their web site. Last week I was look at re-ordering a knob from that series that I had paid $6 a year before. The web site showing around $13 and when I enquired how the price could increase so much they said it was an error, the actual price was around $7.

Reply to
bob

Selco products.

a7yvm109gf5d1

Spef?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Oops, missed the original. No, they're not weighted (I measure 11 or

12g), the aluminum is just for the (literally) cool feel and the relatively sharp knurls (too sharp to be injection molded) and the machined finish. Yes, they fit the encoders.

Enjoying the cool weather:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

He (or she) looks kind of sad. )-;

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, she's really happy-- loves the cold. She's just trying to see what her I'm up to with that black thing (like a good beta dog).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I was up early last Thurs, shovelling away the snow so that our dog wouldn't slip on her back legs. She's a heavy Rottweiler, and aged 10 is too old for another cruciate ligament operation.

So what did she do?

Evaded the cleaned areas, bulldozed her way through the shovelled piles, down to the big lawn, did a sort of forward roll onto her back, and snorted her way down the slope. Then did it again.

The little beggar!

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to