Killer laser:

Legal? I think not.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Invert the phase 180 degrees and it is resurrection laser. Legal? I think not.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Why not? It would certainly be illegal to SELL such a product without the appropriate warning stickers, certifications, and such, but making one of your own from readily-available components? How is that illegal? Doesn't even look like all THAT powerful a laser.

I know how to make any number of pretty damn dangerous gadgets from items available for purchase in any decent hardware store...but would it be illegal for me to do so, in general? (Ignoring, for the purposes of this question, the creation of certain controlled materials such as explosives.)

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Are you kidding? You obviously are not familiar with life in the NEW America! Hey, just POSSESSION of dangerous "terrorist" items is a crime. It's a felony to build a model rocket that is too large or possess too much model rocket fuel.

See? This is what we are talking about! People can go right on the internet and get information on building terrorist devices. This is why the internet needs to be strictly censored and knowledgeable people like you put in jail. I don't care if you've posted no information so far. The fact that you know how to make "damn dangerous gadgets" makes you a threat. In today's America we don't need a CRIME to lock someone up. A "threat" is enough to do it!

If you think life is nuts now...just wait!

Reply to
Benj
3) GPS receivers do not have atomic clocks. 4) Fuckhead.
Reply to
Androcles

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:17:58 -0700) it happened Uncle Al wrote in :

Your physics needs some work ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

: > Legal? I think not. : : Why not? It would certainly be illegal to SELL such a : product without the appropriate warning stickers, : certifications, and such, but making one of your own : from readily-available components? How is that : illegal? Doesn't even look like all THAT powerful : a laser.

: I know how to make any number of pretty damn : dangerous gadgets from items available for purchase : in any decent hardware store...but would it be : illegal for me to do so, in general? (Ignoring, for : the purposes of this question, the creation of certain : controlled materials such as explosives.) : : Bob M. : I'm with you. It is illegal to drive on the right in my country. Certainly anything is legal in most countries unless there is a specific law against it. Is a book of matches a controlled material? It is after all an incendiary device. So is a cell phone...

Reply to
Androcles

Ben is right. First off - any "idiot" can go online to learn how to make bombs of most if not all types. The information is all out there with it's disclaimer of they're not responsible for actions as a result of that information being made public.

Yes, you can make them from most anything easily available - what you use depends on how big a bang you want for your buck. One of the fields I am involved in, I have taken classes dealing with bombs and response to them as well as Terroristic Incidents and "many" others. I am "not" an expert - nor will I claim to be - but I do know the stuff is out there. We have presently - a few miles from my location - someone using homemade devices to explode mail boxes. Though "I" am not an expert, I do have access to a wide array of those who are - at a moments notice.

There was a nearby college student not many months ago - arrested for having "bomb making materials" in his possession. He was arrested and charged accordingly.

The Feds, State and Local authorities are NOT taking those things lightly - with the on going threat as it exists - of terrorism. Get caught - you may lose your freedom for a LONG time. All you need is to run your mouth once - and/or a concerned neighbor or someone maybe even a "Store clerk" - report you for being suspicious - and it will be all over. Clerks are asked to report anyone buying large quantities of materials known to be used or the "combinations".

I agree with Ben, life is nuts now - but not nearly as it may be. It's a shame, but with all the ass holes out there - we have to take steps to protect our people. When you have "American" kids / adults - acting in behalf of the Islamists and all the other radical groups out there - you can't take chances.

L.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

The main problem I have with this laser in a flashlight is that it has no safety, a kid can find it, switch it on, look into it, and / or burn anyone else's eyes out. The max power is 1mW here for laserpointers IIRC (EU).

As a terrorist weapon ? No, better get some Pu.

Reply to
panteltje

"Illegal"? Who's business is it? In the US, the FDA might care if I wanted to sell or advertise them, but otherwise?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

A book of matches and a burning cigarette can make a dandy time-delay fuze. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

: > : > Legal? I think not. : > : : > : Why not? It would certainly be illegal to SELL such a : > : product without the appropriate warning stickers, : > : certifications, and such, but making one of your own : > : from readily-available components? How is that : > : illegal? Doesn't even look like all THAT powerful : > : a laser. : >

: > : I know how to make any number of pretty damn : > : dangerous gadgets from items available for purchase : > : in any decent hardware store...but would it be : > : illegal for me to do so, in general? (Ignoring, for : > : the purposes of this question, the creation of certain : > : controlled materials such as explosives.) : > : : > I'm with you. It is illegal to drive on the right in my country. : > Certainly anything is legal in most countries unless there is : > a specific law against it. : > Is a book of matches a controlled material? : > It is after all an incendiary device. So is a cell phone... : : A book of matches and a burning cigarette can make a dandy time-delay : fuze. ;-) : : Cheers! : Rich Yep, but a cell phone with a broken incandescent light bulb and a match head resting against the filament is better, you only need call its number to control when it goes off. It's no secret, Al Qaeda used that for the Spanish train bombings

Androcles

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@example.net...

Yep, but what middle school student with an IQ of greater than 80 doesn't know this?

In point of fact, those middle school students whose hope is to go on to a first rate college would laugh at you with your matcheads and filaments. Most would realize that you couldn't set off a high order detonation with a filament and matchead. Most of these kids would have the brains to call Uncle Steve, who works in the mines somewhere in West Virginia or Pensylvania and have him send them a half-diozen #6 electric blasting caps to play with, and yes, they are capable of initiating a high order deteronation.

I't ain't rocket science!

Another uncle, a guy that lets say is Ralph, swipes fom the mine and send then 6 stick of Dupont Extra Dynamite, and he ships them by parcel post.

Back in the late 1950s, while in college I actually witness this taking place, and guess what, the explosives where harmlessly detonated for education and recreatinoal purposes.

If you believe that the same thing does not go on today, then you are very naive. The governmnet has absolutely no infuence on this flow of explosive materials....and I would say that this continues without any downside. Heck, the Pennylvania and West Virginia Coal Miners would...I really don't want to say what they would do to demonstated terrorists, so in my mind they are defenders of our national security.

Still, they regard explosives as simply teaching materials, but realize that if a terrorist were to get their hands on such material, people they love could be hurt or killed. Lemme tell you: If I were a terroist and a thereat to the US, I'd really hope that the government captured me first, because if these simple patriots laid hands on me, only DNA would identify my body parts distutributed over 6 states, or under a boulder dropped into a mine shaft than can never be moved.

Realize that many of these guys are more sopisticated than you might at first imagine.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

A couple salesmen at another office of a company I worked for thought it would be funny to fill an envelope with talcum powder and drop it near one of the secretary's desks. They were both fired, and ended up in jail. Real funny.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Anybody know what the output power of a DVD burner diode is? Mike

Reply to
amdx

Not enough to light a candle and I don't think it's visible either.

Reply to
Meat Plow

All these people are apparently in a lot of trouble:

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How would you ever move a mine shaft anyway? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[...]

My point exactly. It is Jan Panties that imagines a home-made laser pointer should be illegal when far more dangerous devices are readily available.

: In point of fact, those middle school students whose hope is to go on : to a first rate college would laugh at you with your matcheads and : filaments. Most would realize that you couldn't set off a high order : detonation with a filament and matchead.

Tell it to Al Qaeda, in point of fact. Perhaps you've not heard of weedkiller and sugar or the Oklahoma City bombing.

: Most of these kids would have : the brains to call Uncle Steve, who works in the mines somewhere in : West Virginia or Pensylvania and have him send them a half-diozen #6 : electric blasting caps to play with, and yes, they are capable of : initiating a high order deteronation.

: I't ain't rocket science!

It isn't rocket science to spell "Pennsylvania", "dozen", "detonation" or "It", most middle school students with an IQ of greater than 80 can manage it. Pity you cannot.

: : Another uncle, a guy that lets say is Ralph

That's where you need the apostrophe, in "let's", a contraction of "let us". Have a nice high order deteronation, come back when others will know what you are babbling about.

Reply to
Androcles

You would be surprised - the people who got the shit scared out of them and had no idea what they were "really" dealing with - and when trying to convince them it wasn't as they thought - OH MAN! But too - it is the "Resources" used in such an incident. At the least - the Police and an EMS unit arrive. Maybe an Engine Company - or worse - a HazMat team and then some. Sure - it makes for "practice" for the crews, but it is a waste of taxes for what actually amounts to "false alarms". So - joke or no joke - the law enforcement folks don't play it that way. Depending on the situation - you can reasonably figure what it isn't. But still there are those cases which demand attention - real or imagined threat.

L.

Reply to
Radiosrfun