Ken Shirriff is a beast

Yes. And it continues to this day, especially in AMD and Intel x86 processors. That has recently and visibly been used to partially mitigate the security holes.

FFI search for intel microcode, e.g.

and many others

Yes.

Even in non-microprogrammed processors, the hardware effectively interprets the instruction bit patterns it receives from memory.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I doubt it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Translation: "One of my classmates in elementary school grew up to become an astronaut. She used to beat me up at recess and steal my lunch money."

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

That was a page-turner.