Just bought a new mini-computer... Whole new meaning... WOW!

Far out.

SOME of you guys might like this...

I think it is downright amazing. So I bought one. The quad core.

32 more and I'll have a supercomputer.

One to control 32 devices for 128 cores.

Only about 3 to 5 Watts consumption each. Amazing.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Looks like fun. I wish they had more photos of the box and preferably a manual. I only see one usb connector. Say what you want about Beagle and Panda, but at least they have manuals.

The serial ports on these sbc are actually more useful than you would think. Sometimes there are usb issues and the serial port is all you have.

The other problem I see here is depending on what you are doing, you may need a usb hub. USB hubs seem to have high failure rates, so it is better to have more usb ports on the box itself. A hub shouldn't be a problem, but reading newegg user comments, they are.

Reply to
miso

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 18:09:38 -0800, miso Gave us:

You must not have spent very long there (on the site)

Look on youtube if you want to find units out of the shell.

Here is a video and a whole page of specs.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Quad core what?

Reply to
sms

i.MX6, quad core A9 I think.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Quad core from Freescale.. Android/Linux How fast is this thing? How many MIPS?

Reply to
Greegor

I'd buy a UDOO Quad.

Reply to
sms

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 06:11:57 -0800, sms Gave us:

Analog audio.

Other than that and the consumption numbers, it is alright.

Only half the RAM, and what does it run at?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Reply to
John Doe

Your one was packaged too.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I have been tinkering with the Beagle Bone. Something I don't understand is how a supposedly efficient (in instructions/clock sense) CPU can perform so poorly. When I ssh into it the first time, it can take up to 30 seconds to generate the ssh keys. I have no idea what the bogomips figure actually describes, but it is about 10 - 15% of a Pentium CPU at the same clock speed. Fortunately, for this application I didn't NEED much performance, but it sure seems slow for a "1 GHz" processor.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Have you accounted for potential wait states? Caching (or lack thereof)?

Are you sure it isn't busy (waiting!) gathering entropy? (something comical in that phrase)

Reply to
Don Y

That's a little weird. Most embedded Linux systems I have used generate SSH keys at boot time. It does sometimes take a few seconds, but I guess they figure it's better to do it then, when the machine isn't all the way up anyway, rather than to take the CPU hit at some unknown time later when somebody logs in.

Sometimes SSH takes a while because the two ends are trying to agree on an authentication or encryption scheme. If you are ssh-ing in from another Linux box, use the -v flag to ssh to see all the negotiations. Using more -v gives you more verbosity, up to three. (For example, ssh -v -v user@beaglebone ). If there is something that seems to cause a long pause, you might be able to configure that out of the SSH daemon on the Beaglebone.

Like Don Y said, it may also be waiting for randomness. Perhaps try booting it up and letting it sit for 10 to 30 minutes and then ssh into it; see if that's faster. If that helps, and if you have storage you don't mind writing to on every shutdown, it's possible to "save" randomness across reboots; look at the random(4) man page on a desktop Linux box for how to set this up.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

It has digital audio over HDMI.

It's really for embedded stuff more than it is for something like a server. It's essentially a high-performance Raspberry Pi melded to an Arduino for I/O. Plus it has four or five USB ports so you don't need to futz with a hub.

Reply to
sms

That is the DNS lookup time-out.

Forget about the Beagle bone! I've been playing with an iMX6 Quad core board for about a week and its pretty neat.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On 18 Nov 2013 15:45:32 GMT, John Doe Gave us:

Not the brightest response.

Cursory glance, and an uninformed peanut gallery wanna be crack.

Looks like the 'doe' of your skull cavity still needs to rise.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:19:38 +0000, John Devereux Gave us:

His is nicer, IF it is as fast or faster or the same cpu, etc. It does have the I/O ports, and that makes it a better lab/bench 'tool'.

His would end up being about $200 after the VAT and export fees.

Mine was less than $150 delivered. His looks a lot more 'serviceable' too.

I wonder if I sank one in an Insulating fluid if I could OC it to a few GHz.

I could see a helix shaped cluster sitting in a clear plastic cylinder with bubbles rising up, looking like it is in water.

Electrical folks would go apeshit trying to figure out how it is working, and others talking about how pure water is not conductive, etc.

It would be pretty funny.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Slow SSH connection response is one symptom of a messed up domain resolver. 30 seconds is about right.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

Would it be faster than your Roku?

Reply to
Greegor

have.

Kind of interesting, just about a year ago i bought a laptop that could beat an 1990 IBM 3090-600J "baby supercomputer", now anyone can get close with what seems to be large key chain fob dimensions (thus headless) at nearly the same level. So much for "mainframes". MPP is dying, cloud or much more accurately, massively distributed computing which achieves better fault tolerance and greater salability, i'll bet google's cloud includes many millions of multi-core processors and high exabytes to low petabytes of secondary (disk) storage. Just the same it is the massive distribution and the serious fault tolerance and recovery that makes the difference. Not to mention a better programmers interface.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk