Just a little simple project

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

Why is thee a fuse on something that is supposed to eliminate the need for a fuse ?

I mean, is this just to be used in R&D ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Mounting holes. What size are they;)?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Cool. Start with a fuse, add a PCB and 40 parts, and wind up with a fuse!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 10. september 2014 17.28.27 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

I'd assume the fuse is only needed if the 40 parts fail, and it's a lot faster than a regular fuse so it might save something expensive

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's not a safety device, and there's no way I'm going to bother attempting to get it approved as such.

People will inevitably be stupid enough to use it in place of protective fuses, so I'm just thinking ahead...

The battery should last quite a while (~2-3 months?), longer without LEDs, but with an isolated supply (battery replacer), it would be fine to use in actual equipment. The supply/load pins are off to one side, so the board could very easily be mounted on right angle pins and soldered or socketed in place.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Precisely. People so often hope that putting a fuse into a circuit will protect it... ERRRNT, it protects the wiring. The transistor dies in

10us, the fuse in 10ms, and now they have to rebuild their circuit.

The purpose of this, is a fuse that opens in (as little as, or even less than) 10us, so your circuit (maybe) doesn't!

The $1 transistor protects the $0.10 fuse, but the $20 electric fuse protects the $1 transistor.

Especially the LT regulator part is in serious need of cost-reducing, but it should be easy enough to make this an "ah screw it, it's only 20 bucks" lab item.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

I have a small market that will beat a path to your door for this. Easily 100-200 pieces in the first year, far more after that. Laser Diodes are expensive.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Current limiting not enough?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not sure how fast those things cook off in, but that sounds like a great place to try.

Note it won't help with ESD -- you still need whatever kind of TVS and/or capacitance to handle that.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 22:24:01 -0500, "Tim Williams" Gave us:

Our human contact medical HV supply had like 20us to clamp anything above 17uA. We made them clamp at 11us and 15uA.

The device they supply was for was human contact. The supply merely drove it, but needed the safety features regardless. That was like a 4 year development for Battelle.

It was, after all, 15kV.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Forward-bias ESD can kill a diode laser in a nanosecond, by blowing the facet off.

A good method for protecting them is to use a 1-uF bypass cap and a series transformer to apply modulation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs