Junkbox switch for a switcher

I need to throw together a ~150 volt supply at a few 10s of mA to test a circuit idea, but I don't have much in the way of MOSFETs in my junk box to build a switcher from.

The only high-voltage device I have in stock is a couple Fairchild FQP2N60Cs, rated for 600V and 2 amps. That might be a possibility.

I also have some lower voltage power devices, and I'm wondering if there would be a way to cascode two of them for a quick hack to make this work if I need to. Looks like I have some IRF530s, IRFZ24s, KSC1173 power BJT, the PNP equivalent KSA473, some MJE350s (high voltage but too low current) and whatever the NPN equivalent is.

Anything I can do with this crap?

Reply to
bitrex

Input is going to be 12 volts, sorry.

Reply to
bitrex

How about a string of 9 volt batteries?

Or rectify the AC line, with some prudent protections.

You could make a flyback with the big Fairchilds. You could drive it open-loop from a function generator.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Stacking 9 volts would be fun, but it's an expensive way to run a thing if you plan on doing it for any length of time. I don't know if the internal resistance of the string would let me provide say 50 mA.

They used to make big 45 volt alkaline batteries; they looked like the

9V form factor but about four times longer. I had a couple maybe 15 years ago, I wonder if anyone makes those anymore.

Directly rectifying the line is scary!

The flyback with the Fairchild seems like a reasonable option.

Reply to
bitrex

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's not a flyback; it's a "fryback", a mosfet roaster.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sure. Google be yer friend, eh?

JW

There used to be 90V "B" batteries for "portable" radios... I can still find mention on the web but none of the links seem to work. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I remember those, for old tube radios. There doesn't seem to be any available anywhere.

Here's some oddballs:

Wouldn't test those with my tongue!

Reply to
JW

45V batteries are readily available.
Reply to
krw

IRF530 is fine:

Ignore the filament supply. Isolated windings aren't necessary; you can stack the secondary on the primary, saving that many turns minus Vin.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

I always end up putting a bunch of bench supplies in series. (If it's only for a test.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nice. What's an EA-77-188?

Reply to
bitrex

Amidon part number, 0.188" (approx. square) center limb ferrite, #77 mix (so, a Fair-Rite product), E shape. Turns give 0.2-0.3T Bmax, and gap gives the desired inductance (add spacers between core halves, or sand down the middle leg).

Most SMPS contain a little transformer that's about the same size, if you don't mind taking one apart and rewinding it. (Hint: superglue is a key disassembly tool...)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

How about a cheap Boost converter module? $12.12 USD

DC-DC-12V-24V input to 100V-250V output @ 70W

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

45 Volt batteries are still available, but they are not cheap. They are still used in Geiger Counters. Do a search for NEDA 202.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The IRF530 is an old inferior part. Someone should tell bitrex his FQP2N60C is generally a fine part, suited for a low-current boost supply, using a simple inductor. An IRF530 has too low a voltage rating for a boost converter.

bitrex may not have a copy of our new book, but Chapter 9 has 109 pages about power supplies, here's a free sample:

For 12V to about 150V at say 25mA, the MOSFET, will be on about D = 1-Vin/Vout = 92% of the time (page 647). The 12V input current will be Iout/(1-D) = 300mA. Yes, the FQP2N60C, with 5-ohm ON resistance, will waste 15% of the power, but hey, it's right there in the junk box. A 220uH inductor with 50kHz switching should work fine.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Thanks, that's sort of what I was hoping for. I think I have some suitable inductors too. I'm not big into winding transformers...

Reply to
bitrex

You could tear up a 12v wallwart smps & run it backwards. That'll get you everything you need, parts-wise.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat