JT's website

Certainly in his early days here he did; not so sure about the last 10 years or so. Anyways, thankfully Win is still with us from time to time and hopefully will be for many years to come.

Cursitor Doom

Yes, I'm still here cranking along, and I check in often to see if I can make a contribution. But more often than not I learn something interesting to save away in my computer.

I hope Jim returns, and am surprised his son took down his website, if that's what happened. Jim clearly meant to leave a legacy with his website, and worked to enhance it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Fields is still alive. Maybe not too active pushing 90yo.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

it

go).

erapy, which is a pretty horrible experience.

ign would be entirely understandable.

ed, though - as Mark Twain illustrated - they can't always be relied on.

They may have moved him into a hospice, and the hospice probably won't let him get online. The average length of stay (ALOS) in hospice for pancreatic cancer is 31 days.

3 He could have been admitted to a hospital ICU for treatment of complicati ons but the ALOS there for pancreatic cancer is around 6 days, after which they go home or are put in the hospice ward. Time frames favor hospice.

Pancreatic Cancer Facts

In 2018 an estimated 55,440 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic can cer in the U.S., and over 44,330 will die from pancreatic cancer.

Pancreatic cancer is the 3rd leading cause of cancer-related death in the U nited States surpassing breast cancer. It is expected to become the 2nd lea ding cause of cancer-related death in the US by the year 2020, surpassing c olorectal cancer.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the few cancers for which survival has not impr oved substantially over nearly 40 years.

Pancreatic cancer has the highest mortality rate of all major cancers. 74% of all patients die within the first year of diagnosis. The 5-year relative survival rate for people diagnosed at all stages of thi s disease is 8%. However, the 5-year survival rate for people diagnosed at an earlier stage with local disease is 32%.

Endocrine tumors, affecting 6% of people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, have a younger median age at diagnosis and better prognosis.

Few risk factors for developing pancreatic cancer are defined. The risk for cigarette smokers is nearly twice that for those who have never smoked. Fa mily history of pancreatic cancer, chronic pancreatitis, alcohol use, obesi ty and diabetes are risk factors. Individuals with Lynch syndrome and certa in other genetic syndromes, as well as BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers, a re also at increased risk.

Pancreatic cancer may cause only vague symptoms that could indicate many di fferent conditions within the abdomen or gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms i nclude pain (usually abdominal or back pain), weight loss, jaundice (yellow ing of the skin and eyes), loss of appetite, nausea, changes in stool, and diabetes.

Treatment options for pancreatic cancer: Surgery, radiation therapy and che motherapy are treatment options that extend survival or relieve symptoms, b ut seldom produce a cure. Surgical removal of the tumor is possible in less than 20% of patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer because detection is often in late stages and has spread beyond the pancreas. Adjuvant treatmen t with chemotherapy (and sometimes radiation) may lower the risk of recurre nce. For advanced disease, chemotherapy (sometimes along with a targeted th erapy drug) may lengthen survival. Clinical trials are testing several new agents for their ability to improve survival.

Pancreatic cancer is a leading cause of cancer death largely because there are no detection tools to diagnose the disease in its early stages when sur gical removal of the tumor is still possible.

*Source for statistics: American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts & Figures 201 8
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

His website has been vacated. This makes little rational sense. I believe that he would have done his best to keep it running. Occam's razor.

It would be nice to be wrong, but I doubt it.

Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

His legacy is his work. He should be remembered, in part, by being, apparently, the 1st to use/publish the differential pair mirror load turnaround circuit, used in billions of units, designs.

Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Once you told someone how to make a huge inductor by bending conduit or copper tubing. I thought that should be in the book.

Yeah. that doesn't seem right.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Phil,

Can you share an archive (ZIP or whatever) of the whole thing, to save me mirroring it again? Perhaps via Dropbox...?

I can host it indefinitely at zero cost to me, if that helps.

Clifford Heath (PM to .@gmail.com)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I have put a complete copy of Jim's site at

I'll leave it there a few days. The directory containing family images has been removed.

Reply to
JM

As Fred Bloggs has pointed out, pancreatic cancer is particularly likely to kill you, but Jim's was detected early, which puts him in the group with a better - though still not great - chance of eventual survival.

He'd have other things on his mind than his web-site if he has survived this long.

Your doubt isn't any kind of evidence, one way or the other.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The fact that he isn't in the driver's seat doesn't mean he is no longer with us. Applying Occam's razor to a lack of information is not very useful. Better to get more information.

I thought there were a number of folks here who were in contact with JT other than through this group? Has all communications come to an end? I would expect his family to return phone calls and perhaps even emails.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I send him a mail after we heard nothing for some weeks (he was supposed to do an ASIC design for us)

Nobody has replied to the emails

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

His son took ownership of, and has dismantled his web site. If Jim was coming back, this would not have happened, in my view. Based on that fact, and the lack of communications leads me to the rational belief that Jim has died. That's just the way I see it. There is nothing to debate.

What's your point?

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

You miss the point that no online presence is required to maintain a domain registration and website for quite some time. Domains are registered for a year or two at a time, websites remain up until there is some issue about payment, and even that may never happen when the hosting is free or arranged by someone else.

So being in a hospice or being in hospital is no direct reason to take down a website and much less to change the ownership of a domain. That normally happens only while cleaning up the affairs of a deceased person. His son transferred ownership of the domain on Aug 11th, which is reason to believe that Jim has deceased some time before that. (it certainly would not have been first priority to contact the domain registrar)

At first, the website still remained live. We do not know what caused it to go down, it may be a result of the hoster not receiving payment and it could be his son sometime gets around to paying and the website will come back.

After all, when he did not want to continue the website, he could just have cancelled the domain registration immediately instead of transferring the ownership. When it was Jim's desire, still alive, to take down the website it would make no sense to also change the domain ownership.

Reply to
Rob

and he made it clear here that he wanted it to stay up for a good while. We discussed it.

Who knows why Aaron has chosen not to inform any of us, and I expect he would have known Jim wanted the site up - but I don't know. At this point I doubt we ever will.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you go to refin or Zillow, His house looks like it is in conrtact. eg; being sold.

Martin Riddle

Instead of speculating, why don?t one of you US guys call Aeron?

He would probably be glad that some are worried

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I think the only thing we can hope for is that Aaron intends to continue the website but is in some conflict with the hoster, even without knowing it (the hoster sent a request for payment on a channel he does not know about, and shut down the site upon not receiving payment in time).

That might be resolved sometime, and the site may be back up.

At first I believed that the domain had again been transferred, this time to a domain squatter (i.e. it had been cancelled by the registrant and then re-registered by the squatters as usually happens), but now it looks like what happened is that the personal details of the registrant were removed from whois (as one can request these days) but it has not been transferred. It still is at godaddy.com and the updated-date has not changed.

Reply to
Rob

?

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but the latest snapshot of JT's web site on archive.org (Sept 20, 2018) while it had the latest page link (Behavioral Spice Elements) added the contents (SecretSauce.html) had not been made available - "access was forbidden".

com/SecretSauce.html

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

A couple of us texted him. No reply.

NT