Jet streams could carry radioactivity from Japan to the US

Jet streams could carry radioactivity from Japan to the US. In the second world war Japan used balloons carried by the jet stream to send bombs to the US. Some bombs actually made it. It seems to me, that in the same way, if radioactive substances get high enough in the atmosphere, those may be carried at high speed towards the US. Time to buy or build your radiation counter.

Jan Panteltje

ards the US.

Or it could stay there until it reach Europe. You don't call it streams for no reason. Don't worry, radiation readings will be available all over the web.

Reply to
linnix

the US.

I hear that these particular air flows are expected to drop their "load" specifically on the Netherlands ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Is that due to Global Warming?

tm

Reply to
tm

ards the US.

FWIW--

-dai-ichi-plant-after-e/ "Elevated levels of radiation were detected well outside the 20-mile (30-kilometer) emergency area around the plants. In Ibaraki prefecture, just south of Fukushima, officials said radiation levels were about 300 times normal levels by late morning. It would take three years of constant exposure to these higher levels to raise a person's risk of cancer."

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

owards the US.

-b...

It'd be nice if we could educate the public about nuclear radiation. Everyone starts running around waving their hands as soon as radiation is mentioned.

I like this,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

towards the US.

rs-b...

We have our San Onofre (Fukushima twin) in S. Calif, within earthquake zone and right on the water. But we only die once.

Reply to
linnix

No, that can't and won't happen...

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

towards the US.

rs-b...

Oh dear. It's all very complicated, but AIUI this means the jetstream's going to dump bananas on the US.

No wonder they call it "fradiation"--bananas with no milk, that's scary! :-)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes, but you're safer because causality is reversed in California. In California a pressure-vessel leak would unleash a sue-nami, whereas the opposite applies everywhere else, and with less certainty.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

e:

am

ed towards the US.

kers-b...

And I live directly down prevailing winds from SONGS. (92064)

Let's see which is quicker - the jet stream cesium dose, or the delivery of the KI tablets I ordered already online.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Within a few weeks after the Chernobyl fire, detectable radiation increments were detected all the way around that Earth. Most of that was trivial, and dissipated quickly. However, a Chernobyl-sized control area impressed on Honshu would include about half the island or more, depending on wind speed and direction.

Reply to
Richard Henry

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:56:13 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Be aware that politics now controls what is 'measured' and what is 'dangerous'. We have seen that with Tjernobyl here. If you take your geiger counter to thr supermarket people will freak out, and maybe you get arrested of thrown out.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

e:

am

ed towards the US.

kers-b...

Say, Does anyone know why the reactor stays hot after the control rods have been pulled out. Is it the 'secondary' radiation from all the other stuff in the reactor or maybe spontaneous fission of the Uranium? Something else? Too many banana's?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

These are the go-to guys. In brief, many of the fission products are themselves unstable (on time scales from too short to measure up through too long to care) and release energy when they decay, long after the core itself has been shutdown.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

wonder how it all compares to this:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Cool, gives me an idea for a practical joke.

;)

Reply to
Martin Riddle

towards the US.

First, Australia, and now Japan?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

"Carry" "radioactivity?" Can you be any more specific?

Is Godzilla going to show up in Seattle, is that how that works?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Which isn't what happened, in case you'd care to check the actual facts.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise