Jellybean electrolytic capacitors

What do you think is a good general-purpose low-cost versatile jellybean aluminum electrolytic capacitor line? I'm looking for a manufacturer and specific product line. When I say versatile, I mean available in a wide range of part values and operating voltages, and physical sizes.

Reply to
Winfield

Why not just buy whatever's in Mouser or Digikey? They all seem pretty much the same, if you don't need exotica like special ESR or something.

John

Because its for a table in the new edition?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Close - it's for a scatterplot of esr vs size for our new Chapter 1X capacitor-properties discussion. I've measured a mass of parts from our stock drawers plus some we've ordered for the purpose, and it's quite interesting to see what an extreme variation of performance can be seen.

I'd like to order a wide selection from one or two lines and be able to specifically mark them on the plot - obviously it'd be most useful if they're good parts to choose. For example, I used to get lots of Panasonic HFS series parts - reasonably-low esr, not too expensive, with a wide range of values and voltages available, but, it's been discontinued. I haven't yet chosen a replacement for our stocks.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Oh. How about NEC or Nichicon? They probably make their own stuff.

I have a scatterplot of power transformer weight vs power, if anybody's interested.

John

Yes, I'm interested!

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Hey, can you guys include a small picture of a tantalum turning into a rocket? With that orange-greenish streak spewing out the bottom and maybe an impressive cloud?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But please, please teach the readers _not_ to design the transformer so it'll work nicely at 120V, saturate at 130V and then go up in smoke at

132V. I've been through several reviews where in the end it was "oh, but at this point that's all the space we've got".
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Another interesting difference is the esr beteween axial and radial leaded Al electrolytics.

--
Mark
Reply to

Can you provide us with a nice photo?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Really? I've just been measuring the radial-lead parts from my drawers, and was planning on ordering only that style, is that a mistake?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

I don't think so. But I think you should not miss oscons which are excellent in many aspects.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Buy better lams.

We had one transformer, not too big, 10 pounds maybe, that ran warm and, if you teased the power switch, would make the wiring in the walls thump audibly at turnon. We measured close to 1000 amps peak current. It would also fry varnish at 130 volts.

Here's the transformer plot for Win...

This graph was really hard to shoot... terrible Moire' effects.

John

John

Hmm. Anybody else?

Yes indeed!

I've bought quite a few organic electrolyte parts for test, plus three values of OS-CONs we got as samples from their distributor, Capacitors Plus. But I wonder how hard they normally are to get in small quantities, since they aren't available from regular distributors?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Digikey has the United Chemi-Con polymers. Nice, very low esr, hold up below 0 degrees C. But only up to 16 volts.

John

I almost knew you'd ask but, unfortunately not. It always happened out of the blue. Once the fire alarm even started blaring.

This one has the aftermath, last picture:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Farnell carries them.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Get the Mythbusters to blow up some electronics. It's a pretty sure thing to make tants go off, so it'd be a cinch to catch it on their highspeed. Now you just need a mythscuse to bring it up...hmm...

Tim

-- Deep Fryer: A very philos> > > >> Hey, can you guys include a small picture of a tantalum

Reply to
Tim Williams

I would be interested in seeing some measurements on those audiophool / botique parts. Elna Cerafine, Black Gate, and a smattering of other types are "audiophile approved" electrolytics (if you can imagine such a thing). You could also explore the silly film caps (Auricap, etc.), but I don't mind that as much.

Tim

Tim Williams