Jacobs Ladder "One Shot" Circuit? Using third leg and HV caps onsecondary... how did that work?

Hi, when I was in high school, electric shop teacher had a Jacob's ladder made from a 15KV neon sign transformer. I've made some since, but his had a special feature I never figured out the secret to. It was strictly a one-shot device. Between the normal pair of electrodes, there was a short "starter" electrode. When you pressed the power button, the breakdown would start between the short electrode and the main electrodes: I forget if it had a preference for one vs. the other. I also forget how reliable it was, if you were guaranteed a start each time. But I do remember it never restarted after the first spark had extinguished itself, regerdless of the fact that the xformer was still under power.

Inside the wooden box was one, or perhaps 2 high voltage caps about half the size of a bar of soap: perhaps old mica transmitting caps. I don't remeber what their values or even their voltage ratings were, or how they were wired in. I failed to make a schematic and when I asked about it the teacher was evasive. The only thing I can figure is that it somehow took advantage of transients generated if and when it was started some distance from a zero crossing: and that it would never fire if controlled by a solid state relay with auto zero cross detection, for example.

It's a nice feature if only because Jacob's ladders have a strong tendency to overheat if they run continuosly. The electrodes get very hot too.

Has anyone seen a schematic of this trick? With two caps, three input terminals (arguably, if you conisder secondary midpoint ground) and three discharge terminals there are only so many combinations to try exhaustively, I suppose... but not knowing the values or the exact spacing between the electrodes adds too many variables.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Miller

to break down by

there a numerous ways

cockroft-walton multiplier. The

current after the arc

I was thinking an ignition system from a motorcycle or other small IC engine -- should give you all the parts to make a nice fat spark if you only supply 12VDC and a contact opening -- you could even time it from a

555 if you wanted to regulate power consumption.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Shouldn't be too hard to do. Just make sure the gap at the bottom is too wide to break down by itself. The trigger electrode would generate a HV impulse to initiate the discharge- there a numerous ways to do this - one would be a small 2-stage marx generator, or maybe a cockroft-walton multiplier. The trigger would need to have a high-resistance path to avoid the main discharge current after the arc strikes.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Where is Aylward? He's the expert on the bible.

Reply to
gwhite

wide to break down by

discharge- there a numerous ways

cockroft-walton multiplier. The

discharge current after the arc

The trigger may not need to be connected to the main gap in any way: A decent spark about 50 mm (2 inch) can trigger the main discharge by UV light alone (maybe helped by some ions flying about). "People" trigger cascading spark gaps that way in Marx generators. It's safer that way.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

spark ;-) **** can trigger the main discharge by UV light

Reply to