Jackrabbits Problem

Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of stress from my girlfriend. The problem is jackrabbits. There are a lot of them where we live and at this time of year they box each other quite viciously. My girlfriend gets terribly upset about this and I get nagged as a result. I've tried to explain to her that it's just nature and they're only establishing territory for breeding and whatnot and to just let them get on with it. However, she won't see reason and insists I do something to break the fights up. So I need your help. I've decided the best solution is to build a 'bunny zapper' type stun-gun. Now it's self-evidently important NOT TO KILL THE RABBITS, but they must get a shock sufficient to get the message across that violence is unacceptable. IMV it should therefore carry JUST enough whack to blow their ears clean off. So how much voltage will this application require? I assume we're talking kilovolts, but how many? Does the rabbits' fur resistance affect the calculations? I have tried researching this on the internet, but it appears no one has yet carried out any clinical trials into the problem. So I need you guys to give me a ballpark figure. Better yet, if anyone knows of a commercial outfit that manufactures stun-guns for use against jackrabbits can they please post a URL? Finally, is there an ecologically sound way of disposing of/recycling all the blown-off ears? Thanks.

A note to the sceptics: There is a sound scientific rationale behind my intended approach: I'm aware that female jackrabbits select their mates primarily by the length and lustre of the male's ears, so any male with just a couple of smoking, charred stumps sticking out of his head is unlikely to be successful in attracting a mate. In this way, hopefully the genepool of the most aggressive rabbits will diminish over time. Lastly, if we can get the concept accepted into the mainstream as a legitimate hobby or sport then maybe we call ALL make a few bucks out of it. Let's all try to work together on this one, guys.

pb.

Reply to
Paul Burridge

Aren't you talking about hares?

They may be called jackrabbits in the U.S. but I've never heard of them being called anything but hares in the U.K.

According to this web-site

the boxers are unreceptive females fighting off males, rather than males competing for territory, so your girlfriend is going to want you to able to direct your stun-gun at the male participant, which is obviously going to be difficult if neither of you has yet realised that you have been looking at male-female encounters.

A properly programmed image analysis system may be able to do better than you can in determining the sex of the hares - it turned out to be relatively easy to set up an image analysis system to sex day-old chickens, a skill that humans can only acquire after a lot of practice

- but you then have to couple this to some kind of long-range non- lethal projectile system, like a taser, with a better long range accuracy than anything I've ever heard off.

It's not a job that I'd take on with any high expectation of eventual success, and I've got a higher opinion of my own competence than I have of yours, though this is not an opinion that you will share (another one of your problems).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Use that stun gun on your girlfriend.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

Paul

What you need is a Border Collie. Besides being a loyal and beautiful pet, they can be trained (natural instincts) to herd and escort the bunnies off your property, making them your neighbors problems. Otherwise, get a Lab, they will eat the bunnies and again the problem will be solved.

Hope this helps.

Pete k1zjh

Reply to
Uncle Peter
[snip]

Take your girlfriend out for a nice dinner and order the Hasenfeffer. Your mandate may be changed thereafter.

Reply to
Greg Neill

Import some French Jaquesrabbits..no more fighting...

Reply to
Rick

"Paul Burridge" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

April fool!!!! I'm not gonna bite on this one.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But if you change you mind to lethal..

Electric shock grid (like a bug zapper). Guessing 10kV, 1kW... This may slowly cremate rabbits for less clean up. However the smoke, smell, buzzing noise and light flashes at night time might be annoying. Not to mention the electric bill. :P Use more power for exploding rabbits?

Which reminds me...: Elmer Fudd finally gets Bugs Bunny no nonsense...

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

A varmint rifle or slingshot, and the introduction of rabbit stew into the menu? You may get resolution the very first time the serving dish hits the table. You could save money twice -- meat is expensive, and so are girlfriends.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You wouldn't eat the jackrabbits around here (Lepus Californicus) more than a couple of times before you contracted one of their diseases. Stick to chicken. It tastes like jackrabbit, anyway.

73, Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Reply to
Tom Donaly

The solutions are: A carnivore on the property Carnivore urine at the edge of the property The sound of a carnivore (a hawk) played occasionally

Reply to
JeffM

How about Lynx? ..that's a cool cat..get a bunch..

Snakes?

New movie: Snakes on the Plain D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

OK, you beat me to this one, but I was going to be more specific: Male brown rat snakes - you only release males (is it possible to spay or neuter a snake?) so they don't breed and overrun the place with snakes - but they'll eat all of the rabbit babies, and if you import a couple big ones, they'll eat the bunny grown-ups. >:->

Then, when the snakes die of old age, you grind them up and use them for fertilizer in the garden. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

I like the lynx idea better... He could just kick back on the porch, open a beer, smoke a cigar and watch the lynx catch rabbits till the sun goes down.. :) "Hey Billy Bob...yer see that? Lynx got annuther one"..Pssstt ..glug glug ...burpp... D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I'm sure this could be adapted

Piglit

or this

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Or a couple of big cats. Actually, he's probably fighting a losing battle.

Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member) (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)

Roger

Ever think of investing in an ultrasonic emitter? I hear they keep all kinds of pests (ie. rabbits, squirrels, cats, dogs, small children etc.) away.

Ralph

Reply to
julian814

Why not call Wallace over at Anti Pesto?

They seem to do a good job.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters