It's Like Sean Connery does a Rhode and Schwarz Promo Vid

I was watching this FSV promo vid on Youtube

and finally discovered how it's pronounced.

ROW DER and SHH ORTZZ

Maybe my hearing is shot but I really hear an R at end when he says Rohde.

Reply to
D from BC

Like this (click the listen button)

|de|rohde%20and%20schwarz

But not as 007 sounding.

Reply to
Dennis

Sounds like a Germanic pronunciation, as in rho'-deh und schvartz. The terminal "eh" could be linked internally in the brain's audio processing center to conflate this with a "drop the 'r' " accent (e.g., Bostonian, over here) to perceive a terminal R where there isn't one.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

He is probably from New York. They add an r to a lot of the things they say. It is a really stupid "Idear", and it likely gets called part of their accent, but I find it annoying and stupid.

Reply to
MrTallyman

The "e" sound in German is like the "e" in common-spoken "the" (not "thee" as the fairies are apt to say :-) ...Jim Thompson

Not always. When at the end of a word then it's like "the". Except in Northern Germany or certain parts of Bavaria, that is ...

Also in certain syllables. But you can have words with two "e" in there and each is different. For example "Ferien" which is the word for vacation time, when school is not in session. The first "e" is pronounced like the "e" in "venom", the second one as in "the". In German "e" is never spoken like in "thee". All this can drive German learners up the wall.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Rohde.

Can't speak for any one else, but i hear it as well. I happened to have taken three years of German in high school and learned it well enough = that i can assert that is more like a Scottish brogue that any Germanic influenced pronunciation.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

It's not Scottish to append an "R" sound, it's Irish... or Newww Yawwwwk :-) ...Jim Thompson

Rohde.

have

that

Could be. Maybe with some Bostonian added in.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk