It'll make your blood boil, unless your a lefty

PS: seeing a grown man reduced to repeating the phrase "you're a hater" over and over in the fashion of an angry teenager in response to what I thought was a fairly polite debate isn't at all a pretty sight.

Reply to
bitrex

It depends. If you prepay, you can get discounted fees. If you want to be billed, forget it. They know they won't collect 90% of the costs so will bill accordingly. Likely few hospitals are set up for cash, though.

A few years back, I had a procedure that I wanted to know the cost up front as part of the decision. They refused to tell me, saying "don't worry, your insurance will pay." Well, I wanted to know, up front, what the insurance company was going to pay.

Perhaps but you pay up-front for a burger. You don't tell them that you'll pay them on Tuesday.

Perhaps not for a traffic accident, unless there is more than one trauma center in range (and you know the difference) but there certainly would be for a toothache. You're not likely to be seen instantly anyway.

Can you choose your surgeon with NHS?

Reply to
krw

But God is, so I'm "reliably" told, unchanging, so there can't be any gradients of progress :)

Yes.

Apparently the wee-wee-Frees formed a mere 120 years ago, and they split again in 1989. There was another schism in the family tree in 2000.

And if you were referring to less savoury events, there's always the Lord's Resistance Army....

"The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), also known as the Lord's Resistance Movement, is a rebel group and heterodox Christian cult which operates in northern Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo... The LRA was listed as a terrorist group by the United States,[13] though it has since been removed from the list of designated active terrorist groups. It has been accused of widespread human rights violations, including murder, abduction, mutilation, child-sex slavery, and forcing children to participate in hostilities"

's_Resistance_Army

But that couldn't happen here. Could it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The government caused employer-based health insurance to come into existence.

But you do anyway, just that price isn't part of the equation.

Up front? Dental "insurance" can save money by negotiating fees. It's often worth purchasing for just that reason. It's not expensive (but doesn't cover much, either).

Reply to
krw

Yes, you are a tedious asshole, shortrex.

Reply to
krw

Bitrex, do you know any Evangelicals? If they are devote they will sometimes profess their faith to you. Not a big deal, but I imagine it might make some people uncomfortable. I just tell them about my religious experiences. and then we can go back to talking about whatever. Other than that they are like everyone else. Expand your horizons!

George H. (with apologizes to any Evangelicals, if I said something wrong.)

Reply to
George Herold

What people _actually_ think about things matters more to me when evaluating the company I want to keep than what they put on display for public consumption.

Am I supposed to be impressed when someone is nice to me on a superficial level? No, most people expect that as a basic standard of behavior. Some can't even manage that.

If someone's religious beliefs make me personally uncomfortable but they persist in trying to discuss them with me then I simply tell them to get lost. If in a hypothetical example my racist old uncle Charlie starts ranting on about "those people" at the dinner table when he _knows_ I don't like it then I tell him to get the hell up from my table and get out. If they think that I'm a mean person for doing so then too bad. If he wants to disown me and cut me out of his will then have at it.

Hey, I wasn't the one being the asshole folks - don't try to pin it on me. You knew the score.

Reply to
bitrex

When you adopt a policy like this you rapidly realize that there are a whole lotta people in the world who definitely do _not_ have any expectation for themselves to show you the same courtesy and understanding that they expect, no, demand...from you.

Fuck 'em. I'll spend my time with people who get it.

Reply to
bitrex

The concept of "human progress" is pseudoscience, anyway. Progress towards what, exactly?

Reply to
bitrex

You sound like Hillary C. and her "basket of deplorables". Which I find to be mostly BS. (sure a few bad eggs) If you took the time to get to know people you'll find they are just like everyone else.

Why do you have so much fear/ hate? (I know it's rampant these days, so you're not unusual.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Do you personally know any evangelical families?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Evangelicals usually believe that they can save others from sin and damnation, so feel obligated to do so. There are worse attitudes. Saving others is a fundamentally nice thing to do, which I appreciate even if it doesn't work on me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm involved in a bunch of things right now. A photodiode amp. A delay generator. A laser driver. A multichannel ARB. A pulse generator. There's an infinite list.

How about you?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I disagree. Christianity begat our government, British Common Law, and the US Constitution. And those in turn enabled freedom and creativity.

Fun book: How The Irish Saved Civilization.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Maybe in Berkeley.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Disingenuous claptrap. Like, one quote from 1000s is supposed to prove a vacuous point.

"love your neighbour", "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone" .... I won't even bother with the rest, its too obvious ..

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Complete and utter nonsense, and outrageously insulting to us atheists.

Morals and intellectuality existed way before xtianity. Some Xtians simply hijacked what already existed and claimed it as theirs. It the disingenuous posturing that xtian use to claim vacuous moral superiority over atheists and any other religion.

Morals are fundamentally based on evolutionary principles. If everyone killed their neighbour, that society would be driven to extinction, so we just don't see much of that about.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

On 5/5/2017 8:08 AM, George Herold wrote: [snip]

Years ago I paid cash rather than keep my check book balanced. As a joke I would ask if they gave a discount for cash. I found a lot of them would. Some will make you a very good deal for cash.

Reply to
gray_wolf

No, unfortunately.

I've watched a religious fundamentalist destroy three generations of a family in order to nail a soul to their door.

She, a Miss Lily White no less, converted a somewhat simple-minded mother. In doing so she destroyed the marriage and excluded the non-believing loving father from the family.

Fast forward to the early 90s. There was a big media splash about a "home alone mother", who eventually and correctly lost custody of her children. That mother was the daughter in the destroyed family.

I have no idea what happened to the "home alone mother's" children, but I can imagine.

I've had the same sect on my doorstep trying to convert me. When told of this story, their response was initial disbelief, followed by "that shouldn't have happened".

Too damn right it shouldn't. But no doubt Miss Lily White was applauded at the time.

If you want to look it up, the home alone daughter's name is Yasmin Gibson.

Reply to
Tom Gardner