It'll make your blood boil, unless your a lefty

Ya, people do seem to give up thinking about lots of stuff at some point, for sure.

Reply to
bitrex

Absolutely. You can only consider new ideas if you are willing to loosen your grip on old ones.

Electronic design being one great example of that concept.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think the thing many non-Americans don't get about the religious base of the Conservative party is that, given that they are an apocalyptic cult, playing to their sense of empathy doesn't really work.

You're saying "You know without universal healthcare this disease might spread and this might happen..." and you're thinking they're going to think "Yikes, he's right!" but they're actually thinking "Plague? Pestilence? War? The horsemen of the apocalypse? YESSSSS. Jesus is comin' soon, hooray!"

Reply to
bitrex

He didn't say to enslave or rape or kill them. That's progress!

There are various gospels, retellings of his life by different authors. In the big picture, he was a pretty peaceful guy.

I'm not here to defend what Jesus said, because I don't study him. I have observed that Christianity has been a net long-term pressure to make the world more peaceful and prosperous and scientific. That effect may have peaked, and we may see some backsliding; seems to be some already.

lunatic fringe electronics

You said

"Evangelicals teach their children that anyone who isn't them are subhumans. That's what they do, today, in 2k17, right this minute."

without qualification. That's both intolerant and wrong.

lunatic fringe electronics

Pretty sure the whole foundation of any fashion of Evangelical Christianity is that you can either accept their conception of Christ as one's Savior and become an Evangelical yourself, or spend eternity in hell.

All anyone else is hearing is "Do as we say or pay for not doing so with eternal suffering. There is no other way. My way or the highway."

Is that how people who consider other people to be fully human treat each other?

Reply to
bitrex

"I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit."

Reply to
bitrex

I do actually design a few circuits I like to think are novel, from time to time.

I take some comfort that that seems more than can be said for some folks around here.

Reply to
bitrex

Is God eternal and unchanging, or not?

If yes, then God thinks someone (Lot, of course) who encourages a mob to rape his daughters is a good person. And all so that he and visiting angels (or whatever) can get some peace.

And Leviticus allows fathers to sell disrespectful daughters into slavery.

There's always been backsliding, especially where one sect is describing/defining another.

Sometimes it merely means schisms (e.g. the Church of Scotland begat the "Frees", who begat the "wee-Frees", who begat the "wee-wee-Frees"). Other times it means torture and death.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The irony is one of the points on the checklist is probably "Side X dismisses any attempts to raise awareness of the eventual outcome of this chain of causality as Side Y propaganda aimed at making them look bad"

Reply to
bitrex

A bit more convoluted, but yeah, it's implicit in both checklists.

/Teo.

--

teostupiditydor@algonet.se | for you are good and crunchy with
Remove stupidity to reply  | ketchup.

The Chinese were building seismographs and mechanical chronometers when JL's ancestors in Europe were still running around the forest in wolf pelts and howling at the moon.

The west succeeded technologically _despite_ Christianity, not because of it.

Reply to
bitrex

You're obviously a hater, so you tell us.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You really are a hater.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You are citing legends from 4000 years ago. I'm talking about gradients of progress.

Recently?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

"What have you designed, lately?"

Reply to
bitrex

You're lying again.

You're an idiot.

Reply to
krw

Like the US?

Reply to
krw

It was a rhetorical question. If that isn't actually what Evangelicals believe then I've seriously misinterpreted their religious beliefs. If it is, then what I posted is about as intolerant as you can possibly get in a "water is wet" dictionary-definition sense.

It must be one or the other.

Reply to
bitrex

With government food ration coupons, of course.

Reply to
krw