Is there life inside of liquid crystal displays ? (LCD wave patterns)

I just did a high-speed capture of an lcd/vga monitor and it appeared some kind of pattern was showing when the monitor was blinking different colors at rapid speed, though still vertical retraced/synced to it's frequency of

60 hz or so.

On the high speed footage it appears there are these wave like almost plasm a like patterns... and also ripples can be seen, slightly.

What are these patterns/ripples, like waves/oceans of the sea ?

  1. Is this actually the liquid crystals changing in a certain pattern, mayb e oscilating ?

  1. Is this pattern formed by slight differences in liquid crystal speeds ?! Think not it should then be more random ?

  2. Perhaps it's the electricity itself slightly showing up in the waves.

  1. Perhaps the quick refreshing of the monitor colors is "pounding" on the liquid crystals creating micro-waves of fluids/micro-fluid motion on the LC D display.

  2. The most radical and coolest explanation would be microbes, feeding on t he light, evolving inside the LCD crystals... and having a blast with the d isco lights ! LOL.

  1. It could also be a compression artifact of the video codec.

  2. Could be a pattern of the camera light sensitivity chip itself, though s eems somewhat unlikely.

I may repeat this experiment on laptop later, maybe I will upload it to you tube so you can have a looksy.

Perhaps this technique could be used to leak side channel information on th e monitor or profile it or finger print it... there is probably something/s ome kind of information related to this pattern lol.

I thought it was a cool thought anyway, microbes inside LCD's... I think it should be investigated to see if it's possible for life to evolve inside s uch a monitor... life turns up at the stranges places ! ;)

Bye for now, Skybuck.

P.S.: The reason why I capture this video was to inspect if tearing is true ly gone. I created some OpenGL app that vsyncs the bloody thing... and I am wondering how fast these pixels change color and if any pattern is visible with high speed camera... there is some pattern visible all kinds really, the changing kinda happens all around... single color frames... it's kinda weird.

I guess it's monitor/quality dependent. So for I am somewhat pleased with t his vsync capability, no more tearing for now. But nothing is perfect... so far it's good enough for humans not to notice the refreshing of the screen or just slightly or so, it's kinda weird when you look or think about it.. . I do see some fuzzeness of pixels changing colors.

Reply to
skybuck2000

We once had a shipment of LCDs from China about 15 years ago and there were little "things" under the glass that appeared to move to the left or right or up or down very slowly. This with the LCD powered ON or OFF.

Turns out they were little worms or insects of some kind.

Reply to
boB

Some real Sci Fi stuff thinking about single-celled organisms engineered such that is actually the function of their life cycle, to be the pixels in a display. Damage-resistant, the display literally grows back to fill in any missing pixels.

Check back in 50 years. Or maybe 20.

Reply to
bitrex

Almost certainly a refresh artefact. It was much much worse photographing a CRT screen with normal phosphors. Standard way was a time exposure that was a multiple of frame rate to get uniformity.

Smarter setups had a genlock to synchronise exposure to monitor refresh.

Thrips are small enough to get into and behind many LCD screens and crawl around for a while before dying and then dropping to the bottom. When you have a dead pixel or two that moves around it is probably alive. They are particularly a nuisance in early summer when oilseed rape flowering ends (as are the pollen beetle that stuff attracts).

When they expire they slowly accumulate at the bottom of the display.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown