Is there a difference between a RF choke and a RF coil ?

George wrote: > Is there a difference between a RF choke and a RF coil ?

Mostly of intent -- a choke is taken to be in a low-Q circuit, a coil may or may not be. If it's marketed as a "choke" then you don't want to use it for tuning or impedance matching; if it's marketed as a "coil" then inspect the specifications closely before proceeding.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:53:37 -0800, Tim Wescott wroth:

And if the specification calls it a "choke coil"?

Jim

Reply to
James Meyer

Then its part of the "early choke pull off" that was so popular in cars in the 1970's. Its just a heater for the automatic choke thermostat.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Smartass.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Then they're using like a choke, and they recognize that it's a coil.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I had a car (Mazda) that had an electromagnetic 'brake' to hold the manual choke knob out until the engine reached operating temp. Then, a thermo switch cut power to the coil and a spring pulled the knob back in with a 'pop'.

I wonder if these are called 'choke holds' or if that's just something our local cops use?

During the next two hours, the system will be going up and down several
times, often with lin~po_~{po ~poz~ppo~{ o n~po_~{o[po  ~y oodsou>#w4ko
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.