Is the old MIDI infterface dying?

I am in the proces of building myself a Eurorack modular synthesizer system. (As many self designed modules as possible) I started looking around for a MIDI to CV module and found a few options. In looking into keyboard controllers I discovered that most keyboards now are using the USB MIDI interface. I was not even aware there was such a beast. Some converters do have USB MIDI inputs but I am a bit wary about compatability issues. Does anyone have any knowlegde/experence they could pass on that might help me make a hasslefree transition from knob turning to keyboard?? Thanks,

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Glover

USB MIDI devices are meant to be connected to a PC.

USB differentiates betweens hosts and devices, so it is not possible to connect two devices together.

Regards, Clemens

Reply to
Clemens Ladisch

The physical DIN connectors might be becoming less common, but the protocol? Definitely not going anywhere anytime soon.

On recent gear it mostly seems like the "Thru" jack is being omitted and the second jack turned into a software selectable "Out/Thru" jack. Most people don't daisy-chain gear anymore.

Reply to
matt