Is it some sort of "Latch" I need?

You may be able to do it with just a comparator, depending on as yet unspecified details. RC on one input means it passes the input signal until a certain time when it locks out. Add diode to discharge when power off.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And four interconnected NAND gates. You forgot them! :-D BTW, your English is excellent. How did you acquire such fluency?

Cursitor Doom

May be possible, but will it be any simpler than my design - i.e., use fewer parts? And will the output match the input pulses precisely without careful adjustment? I'm always interested in any improved alternative to my own ideas.

Reply to
Pimpom

Pardon me if I ask dense questions, I'm late to this thread... busy on a modeling project, and haven't follow closely:

Is this a one-time event? Or does, sooner or later, the signal begin from a high?

Seems that it must. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

This has been causing some confusion, so let me expand with the full timeline. I had assumed folks would 'just know' but clearly that's not the case.

  1. Circuit un-activated.
  2. Circuit switched on.
  3. A positive-going 12V signal lights an LED for approximately 4s.
  4. Following that 4s of 'on' time, the signal voltage goes to zero for
300ms.
  1. Following that short 'off' period, the signal returns to 'on' again, this time indefinitely.
  2. Following the indefinite 'on' period, at some later time which has no bearing on the original question AFAICS, the circuit is switched off & all power disconnected.
  3. The steps above repeat each time the system is 're-booted' as it were.

This would have been so much simpler to illustrate by means of a timing diagram, but sadly I don't have the facility to post such.

Reply to
Al

I don't think a timing diagram is needed, this is clear. The confusion com es from the fact that this is truly a one time event when powered up. Whil e you did "accurately" describe this in your initial post, inaccurate descr iptions are not uncommon and the language you used did not specifically add ress the obvious questions that have been asked. To head off those questio ns you would have needed to know to expect them and to specifically address them initially as you have done now. Heck, the timing diagram posted by P impom has a perfectly good timing diagram, but it still begs the question o f "what happens next?"

Another way to head off the questions might have been to give some context, but that can lead to many more questions, so.... :)

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

This is exactly as I understood it from the beginning, including

6 and 7. Frankly I'm surprised that there was any confusion.

Register for a free account at Dropbox.com or similar site.

Reply to
Pimpom

You're obviously smarter than the average bear. ;-)

Cursitor Doom

1 comparator, 1 R, 1 C.

whether you need to adjust it depends on timings & tolerances. In some apps it won't be critical anyway. Only the OP knows what best suits his unstated requirements.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That is an excellent question. I'm scratching my nut furiously here, because I can *almost* picture a two-transistor solution to this; three at most. And I mean jelly bean BJTs. Sleeping on a problem like this often works for me, but I won't be heading to bed for several hours yet. :-)

Cursitor Doom

What about setting the threshold?

Reply to
Pimpom

What about it are you asking? Obviously the comparator's threshold moves analoguely over time, if you know what the specs are for the input signal you can make that work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

*I* am heading for bed. It's getting close to 2:00 AM here. Will check tomorrow to see if you've come up with any bright new idea.
Reply to
Pimpom

Does "switched on" mean "powered-up"? In that case you would need some method of power-on-reset to ensure that the logic starts in the right state?

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Yes.

No. The intervals between resets are *so* long that internal resistances will take care of that (assuming I understand your question correctly...)

Reply to
Al

OK. I guess you have your problem solved. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

Sorry, is that meant to be sarcastic?

Reply to
Al

Me? Sarcastic ?:-) ...Jim Thompson