Is Inductor core saturation reversible?

If a power inductor as part of line filter reaches saturation current and goes into saturation will it come back to normal after the load current reduces to nominal level? In otherwards, is core saturation reversible process?

-sridhar

Reply to
sridhar09.cherukuri

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

into saturation will it come back to normal after the load current reduces to nominal level? In otherwards, is core saturation reversible process?

Hello,

read here

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

** AC line filters are normally made such that saturation of the ferrite is not possible.

Cos there are two windings carrying current in opposite directions.

** Yep.

The core may have some temporary magnetisation, but that soon vanishes with use.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

yes, unless the overcurrent was exterme enough to damage it permanently (eg: burn the insulation off the windings)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

into saturation will it come back to normal after the load current reduces to nominal level? In otherwards, is core saturation reversible process?

It is for DC use as part of LC filter to minimize the surges particularly from inductive load switching. Does inductive surge for such a brief period of few milli seconds cause the core saturation?

Reply to
sridhar09.cherukuri

** Core saturation is virtually instant.

It depends on the current level flowing in the winding, independent of the frequency.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

goes into saturation will it come back to normal after the load current reduces to nominal level? In otherwards, is core saturation reversible process?

inductive load switching. Does inductive surge for such a brief period of few milli seconds cause the core saturation?

it could... you have the figures, run the arithmetic.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Note: some ferrites are not reversible. Ni-Zn ferrites usually warn to avoid saturation, else permeability will drop somewhat.

I swear I've had one toroid (strip steel core) which stayed magnetized after being saturated for a while (too much DC bias). Running it at AC (no DC bias, AC well below saturation), it still ran hot and noisy (banging its head against saturation).

Magnets are weird.

Tim

Tim Williams

Back in the day, seems like I remember a vendor trying to sell me some magnetically biased "DC inductors". Claimed twice the amp-turns for the same size core.

Reply to
mike

It's not rocket science:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

into saturation will it come back to normal after the load current reduces to nominal level? In otherwards, is core saturation reversible process?

In a word, YES.

Reply to
Robert Baer