is 2gb of ram

is 2gb of ram is just as good as 4gb.

Reply to
computerramusa

Depends on what you're going to use the computer for. If you enlightened us as to how you plan to use the computer, we can give you a more informed answer.

Alias

Reply to
Alias

More proof that VISTA is dumbing down computer users. If you have to ask a question like that you are too stupid to own a computer.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

vista uses extra ram as a cache keeping programs that it uses frequently in that cache for the next time you run it..

therefore the more ram you have the better

that said, for computer for everyday use will see a small increase in performance but for a computer doing graphics you absolutely need more ram than 2 gb...

vista is a very fat and boated OS... and it depends on much ram to get its fat arse moving...

for the vista loving trolls who deny this, please let them remove the extra ram they have and let them use only 512 mb ram

XP would runs "ok" with 512mb meaning that you can use it for some tasks, but vista strains under its own weight.

Reply to
vista is bad for ya

and what's your excuse for being an asshole?

that question could be coming from any user of any OS...

I guess you cover those both! lol

idiot

Reply to
vista is bad for ya

As Alfred E Newman once said, "Two can live as cheaply as one, it just costs twice as much."

Gotta pick up my new skis. Everybody was making fun of my skinny old orange Olins.

John

Just telling the truth. People ask a lot of questions they can't or won't like the answers to.

If you don't like it, kill file me.

It was cross posted to a design newsgroup where we don't cater to idiots.

Personally, I would locate the motherboard specs and stuff it to the limit with the fastest memory it can use.

OK, how many gig is best on my Commodore 128 with the OS in ROM? My S-100 systems? Do I really need more than 1 k of RAM? How about the Intel Multibus computers in the shop? Or the Motorola Exorcisor computers or VME boxen?

I AM crazy. Anyone who denies being crazy is admitting to being insane.

I spent two years stuck in bed. I only have a couple productive hours per day, yet I haven't given up. I am a 100% disabled US Army Veteran, and I use humor to take the edges off the all too often bad days. Have you ever had to deal with a conceited VA nurse who thinks she is a doctor? Has bad medical advice come close to costing you both legs?

My mother died of Colon cancer decades ago. Her motto was "Crazy is not being afraid to laugh at the world when it kicks you in the teeth." Take that any way you want to. She suffered a year of pain and side effects of her treatment, but did her best to keep her sense of humor.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

XP barely crawls with 512 MB of RAM if the all the 'Windows updates' are installed.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Geez - that is sure depressing! I've seen Linux installs that breeze along quite handily with 256mb.

Reply to
ray

XP works fine with 512 MB of RAM if it's RAM that's better than pc-100 or 133.

Alias

Reply to
Alias

You cannot really say that. IT depends on what applications you want to run and how many you want open at any one time. Besides we all know that Windows is a very inefficient OS and does a poor job of multitasking applications.

Reply to
measekite

This desktop is cooking at 459MB right now, 80MB of that being Firefox (what a hog) and 45MB is f@h. That still leaves 53 megs free below 512.

'Course, I *do* need the 1.1GB I have installed when I'm playing something like Doom 3.

On the other hand, my P4 laptop has 512MB RAM and it's consistently rather slow, thrashing the swapfile. I'm still not sure why it uses so much more memory than this thing.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

No, 4gb of ram is twice as good as 2gb.

Reply to
Happy Trails

Not really true. If your system is using 1GB then how is 4GB twice as good as 2GB and if you are doing database (IO Bound) memory does not do as much as if you are number crunching.

Reply to
measekite

In some cases 2gb is better. Setting aside half the address space for memory mapped I/O can make for a better system. If you put 2bg on a

24MHz version of the 8051, and make it address 2gb of external RAM is will out perform a 4gb, 4GHz quad core machine with graphics accelerator running Vista. Part of the problem is that Vista uses the bogosort routine to sort the PIDs to find the next task to give a time slice to but the 8051 just uses the JMP @A+DPTR

If you are doing graphics on your PC, you should stop right now. PCs are for doing spreadsheets.

Reply to
MooseFET

Half as good.

--
        Van Chocstraw
 >>\\\\--------------------//
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Try doing multiple tasks with it. You can install XP with 128 MB, but try using it if you install the updates.

I used to run a Commodore 64 with 38911 bytes of RAM.

The embedded 68340 processor controlling the equipment used for audio, video, & data uplink to the ISS has 64K * 16 EPROM, and 2k * 16 SRAM and a 16 MHz CPU clock

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you don't mind excessive use of the swap files.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

crap..

xp works better with 512 mb ram than vista works with 1gb ram!

lol

also if you know what you are doing you can greatly reduce the footprint of xp to use far less resources...

not to mention that you can make lite versions of xp using nlite..

vista even with vlite is just too fat

that's why microsoft has embedded for xp but NOT for vista , and they will never have an embeded version of vista..

they skipped the monster and next embedded version will be based on windows

7

you suck!

Reply to
vista is bad for ya

tes'

And I remember mainframe computers that were considered huge because they had 2 gb of mass storage. Times have changed and now it takes 2 gb just to start the damn thing.

Reply to
BobR