Irrigation valves - anybody use one?

I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Ha ve any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and h ave a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24v ac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, s o quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC).

Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. T HANKS

Reply to
mkr5000

The valve operates on delta-pressure... the control voltage only operates a AIR needle-valve which then operates the water valve. ...Jim Thompson

Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have an d have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a

24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy , so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC).

. THANKS

Thanks Jim -- so is the chatter when it's dry and not connected to water to be expected? I'll assume these need a continuous 24vac to stay open rather than a pulse? It's a Rainbird CP075

57
Reply to
mkr5000

Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 2

4vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need f or DC but these things run on AC).

THANKS

By the way -- googled delta pressure to learn about it -- out to lunch on w hatever that is.

Reply to
mkr5000

I don't know about the chatter... it's been years since I did it my self... my yard guy does all that now ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Here's a video that demonstrates how a Rainbird valve works...

...Jim Thompson

s. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like cra zy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a nee d for DC but these things run on AC).

ry. THANKS

n whatever that is.

Don't know why I didn't run into that video when i was searching -- yes, it looks like it needs water in the solenoid -- I bet it's that plunger that' s making the chatter and it's the water that keeps it quiet. Thanks.

Reply to
mkr5000

Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 2

4vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need f or DC but these things run on AC).

THANKS

Stuff like that used to be all 240v, no transformer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Where? That certainly wouldn't meet US safety codes. ...Jim Thompson

s. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like cra zy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a nee d for DC but these things run on AC).

ry. THANKS

No, of course. There was also no rcd/gfci and no equipotential bonding. Her e in UK in the 70s. The water spray was all over the (insulated) mains flex feeding it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Good info!

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yep. I haven't repaired one myself in a while, but I did remember that differential pressure game... uses the water pressure as the source of force to operate the valve... thus the 28VAC power required from the controller is negligible. ...Jim Thompson