Irma

The county will open their hurricane shelters in a few hours. I am trying to decide if I should leave, or stay here. I have yet to have a hurricane in the area that I wasn't without electricity for weeks, or even months. I don't know if I will be able to use a tablet if I go to the shelter, and you may not hear from me for a long time. The county may make it mandatory to evacuate the subdivision.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Good luck!

Take extra batteries ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I couldn't find any, along with no gasoline or bottled water. People must have been up at midnight to clean out ll the local stores and gas stations. I have less than 1/8th tank at the moment. Just enough to get to the nearest shelter, then home.

I was busy trying to buy a truck when this hit. There are 11 gas stations near here. Six were out of gas, and the other five are out of business because the other five are new, larger stations. One station still had diesel.

The county just made it mandatory to evacuate.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You can't get even with a storm if you don't survive it. It's time to go. You'll figure out the rest as you go along as any good engineer would. ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

Good luck Michael, keep your head down and feet dry.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm going off line, to finish loading my truck, so I can leave. Everyone be safe, and be Blessed.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Be well. I hope you make it. The traffic North is a mess.

Reply to
krw

Best of luck, Mike. Safe journey and refuge!

Cursitor Doom

I don't know where you are, but I don't understand how any of this could have taken you by surprise. In a Yahoo group someone posted Thursday they were staying because the forecast was for the worst to be on the east coast. I tried to point out the forecasts weren't that accurate and she should evacuate Naples. She seems to *still* be there even now that Naples is expected to be 10 foot underwater!

Why can't people use a little common sense and run like hell when such enormous danger is looming?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Wait - did you just switch topics to presidential elections of the past decade?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Maybe he listened to Rush Limburger, and believed that The Steenkin' Medya was hyping Irma to advance this climate change agenda?

Even Limburger doesn't believe himself, apparently. Why should he? All that matters is that whatever he spouts causes the $ to keep rolling in.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Rather than read what the fake news reported Limbaugh said, I read his web page. It's not an easy read really. He is quite the flamboyant speaker and uses a great many words to say just a little. Mostly he wants to stir up emotions which his words are good at. He seemed to be ranting about all manner of evil things relating to advertising, the government and even the "big water guys"... anyone know who they are? Around here water is either well or handled by county government. Who are the big water profiteers?

Anyway, I don't see that he told anyone to stay put or that the storm was nothing to worry about, but then I only read it part way through. It's just too painful to read all the nonsense. So I don't see that his leaving Florida was terribly self contradictory.

Well... he did try to diminish the danger of the storm as a whole. Here is what he said,

"Cloud top temperature is what those colors mean. Bright red means coldest temperatures at the top of the clouds. It has nothing to do with precip. But people don?t know this, and they look at these giant graphics of these hurricanes, it?s moving up, it looks bigger than Cuba. When in fact the eye of the storm, any hurricane on average the real damage occurs in the 20- to

30-mile radius, circle around the eye. That?s where when you hear Category 5, that?s where the Category 5 winds are. They?re not throughout the whole thing. They?re not throughout the giant, big blog.

Another thing I?ve found, folks, these storms, once they actually hit, are never as strong as they?re reported. If you look at graphics, the data you can find from sea buoys and on the ground in spots in the Caribbean where hurricanes hit before they get here, it?s amazing that the actual wind speeds are never or very rarely as high as what they would be if it?s genuinely Category 4, Category 5.

Now, somewhere in the storm they are, but not the whole thing. The eye wall and within, that?s where these things are killers. It?s bad. I mean, it?s not a piece of cake when you?re not in the eye wall, but the whole thing is not Category 5. The whole thing is not 30 inches of rain. It?s a much more compact area of the storm. But the graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean?s having an exorcism, just getting rid of the devil here in the form of this hurricane, this bright red stuff."

I'm not sure what exactly his point is. No, the outer bands aren't hurricane force, but there are hurricane force winds much further out than the eye wall. Also, Irma has a much larger eye than typical at 45 miles. As a point of reference Hugo which caused enormous damage had a 40 mile wide eye.

I hope no one is stupid enough to take hurricane advice from Rush Limbaugh.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I wonder the same but the press cries wolf so much that the people have "been through it before" get complacent. The same thing happens in the NE, WRT snow, obviously at a much lower level. Prepare?

Reply to
krw

Lying again, I see.

It is the only arrow in the lefty's quiver.

Reply to
krw

The same thing happens in California whenever there is some rain in the winter.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Thank you. I spent three days in a special needs shelter, then a week of no power when I got home. It hit 99 F in my bedroom, with the high humidity that Florida is known for. Duke Energy reported that my area was restored last Thursday. It was finally on. Tuesday evening. I got the internet, phone and CATV back late yesterday. No major damage, that I've found but I still need to inspect the storage buildings.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's the press' fault when they play stories down AND when they exaggerate. Gosh. Tough crowd.

Reply to
bitrex

Some people can no longer 'Run like hell'. I was looking at buying another vehicle, and I needed all my cash, if the deal had happened. That was when a $2000 truck turned into $778 for the title and tag, plus $1,784 for a year's insurance because Florida wouldn't let me title it as non commercial. That's $4562, and I only had $2500 on hand.

I had plenty of food and water on hand, but a large number of gas stations have recently closed. I75 was closed because of accidents, so the traffic was diverted through town and the stations were already waiting for deliveries. My old truck is OK for around town, but the nearest family or friends were 1000 miles away. Even if I did trust that truck for the trip, I can't drive long distances because of bad legs and other health issues.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't care how often anyone cries, "wolf!", when there is a chance a wolf is around I'm bailing!

The real issue is that people are not very good at sorting out the hype from the facts. It's not hard, but many people are prone to over reacting to what they hear without thinking.

A lady who moderates a medical group I read stayed in Naples through Irma. The forecast was for 9 feet of water above ground level, not sea level, ground level. I don't care what past storms might have done, I'd be out of there and not back for weeks. As it turns out, even though much of Naples was not under water, it would still be good to have left and not returned for a couple of weeks at least. Then when you got back the electricity would be on and you could actually do something useful about cleaning up.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I don't listen to him, or most other talk radio. I have been here a little over a month less than 30 years. It wasn't my first hurricane, and likely won't be my last. I generally go to the grocery twice a month, and I went at the usual time. I heard so much misinformation from the so called 'News' sources that it could have taken a trip around the planet a dozen times and never came close to me. The night before the evacuation, we were told that there would be no local shelters, and that there were no local shortages of food or fuel.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.