iPhone SE ??

What apps in particular are you talking about? I have not run into any deficiences with the phone, the iPad is a bit more irritating because the more computer-like interface leads one to try to do computer things with it, like edit Word documents. I can do that but it wasn't free and isn't a perfect emulation.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

One is Torque Pro. The issue is that iOS doesn't support the necessary Bluetooth protocol (SPP) needed for the ELM327 OBD-II modules. While there are more expensive Wi-Fi ELM327 modules, but there aren't any equivalent apps to Torque Pro. It's not clear why Apple decided to not include SPP (Serial Port Protocol) in iOS, but it appears to be related to licensing issues and royalties for their alternative, "MFi is only relevant to Classic Bluetooth data connections to / from iOS devices, where you need to use Apple's iAP protocol, be a MFi licensee, use an external Apple Authentication IC and pay a royalty to Apple."

Another one is GPS satellite trackers. This is something I use at work for our IOT devices. In iOS you can't read NMEA data so you can't see which satellites the GPS is connecting to. It's not clear why Apple decided to not include NMEA data access.

Another one is SMS forwarding. When traveling outside the U.S., with a foreign prepaid SIM it's useful to forward text messages to a foreign phone number or to a Google Voice number, from a phone you leave at home. Apple doesn't allow SMS forwarding apps. The workaround is to get a cheap Android phone to leave behind, stick in the domestic SIM card, and set up a text forwarding app on it. In this case, it is clear why Apple doesn't allow SMS forwarding, they are concerned about security and viruses, i.e. what if a virus started forwarding bank verification codes to a third party.

What the iPad needs is what the Microsoft Surface, and Android tablets have--mouse support. I know that the iPad was never intended for stuff like spreadsheets and documents, but people like to use it for that, and have a Bluetooth keyboard for typing, but supporting a Bluetooth (or USB) pointing device, like Microsoft and Google do on their OSes, would be very welcome. Whenever this is mentioned, there are screams of "if you need a mouse, buy a Macbook," which are similar to the screams of "buy an iPad," when someone laments the lack of a touch screen Macbook.

Reply to
sms

Fair enough for all those. I have Torque Pro on an Android tablet and it's nice. Yes, the forwarding would be nice.

MS Surface is tempting... if they could just cram a bit more SSD in there without jacking up the price too much.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Do they? I didn't think Samsungs could be immersed.

Mine's the same, so I don't do it. I use an iPod for this purpose, the few times I do it. Bozo has some interesting Bluetooth earwigs that are supposed to be really good. One of my Cow-orkers came from Bose and pointed me to them. I have a couple of pairs of LGs but they don't have any noise cancelling.

The Bose set, above, is $300US. Bit on the high side for me since my use-case is mowing the lawn. My LGs are good for everyday use and the gym.

They don't? I thought everyone allowed it these days. If I were driving (riding) down the Pacific Coast Highway, I doubt I'd have my face in a laptop. I'm about to put a GPS in my truck, mainly for the backup camera but also for better navigation (display).

Reply to
krw

Very good analogy!

Reply to
krw

There are many non-audio devices that make use of the analog headphone jack.

And as you stated, it's possible to still have a waterproof phone with a headphone jack. Apple had good reasons to eliminate the headphone jack because it drives more revenue through licensing fees, it reduces manufacturing costs, and it reduces warranty repair costs, and few iPhone users are going to move to Android as a result of the loss of the headphone jack.

Android phone makers don't have the luxury of being able to de-content their products since there is so much competition, and similarly, it's why you see new features on Android products long before the same features appear on the iPhone (3G, LTE, NFC, fast charging, wireless charging, large screens, etc.), no Android maker wants to be at a disadvantage compared to other Android makers, but iPhone aficionados are perfectly willing to wait a year or two for those features.

Yeah, Cricket now charges extra for tethering, and only offers it on higher cost plans.

Reply to
sms

The iPhone includes a 3.5mm headphone jack adapter for no extra charge.

Slightly less convenient but you can plug a 3.5mm jack device into the phone to attach to audio systems etc.

Reply to
kevin93

They do.

""" Do not immerse the Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 edge in water deeper than

1.5 metres and do not keep it submerged in water less than 1.5 metres deep for more than 30 minutes. """

Jasen Betts