Inverter input current

I am curious if there any guidelines or rule of thumb for inverter input cu rrent. I can design an inverter with a very small DC link capacitor and co ntrol the current going into the inverter to a high degree with a full-brid ge converter. Essentially this current will mimic the output current so th e capacitors see little ripple current. This will of course result in a la rge 120Hz component and some higher order harmonics from the battery. The o ther option is to place a large amount of capacitance on the bus and pull D C current out of battery with little AC current.

I suppose the answer lies somewhere between the two - I am just looking to hear of any experience with commercial, military or ??

regards, Yzordderrex

Reply to
Yzordderrex

most secondary batteries have low internal resistance and aren't bothered by spiky loads. fit capacitors as necessary to suppress EMI

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

What are you inverting? Is this a battery to mains (UPS or portable) application, or high frequency?

For switching converters, if you're going to go to the trouble, it's traditional to forego the link cap altogether and feed somewhat rippled DC current, right from the inductor into the inverter. I which case it's a current fed inverter, and the switching and snubber physics is somewhat upside down from the usual voltage-fed case.

If you heard anything about the Google Little Box competition, literally

25% of that project was input filtering: the rules required fairly low input ripple, which requires a certain amount of energy storage to smooth out the output current pulses. Energy storage is energy storage; doing it passively requires quite a bit of electrolytics. Active, you can use a smaller, denser capacitor (one build used $1000 worth of special electret (polarized) ceramic capacitors), but you need a whole 'nother converter stage and inductor(s), costing efficiency and almost the same space.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

"Yzordderrex"  wrote in message

I am curious if there any guidelines or rule of thumb for inverter input
current.  I can design an inverter with a very small DC link capacitor and
control the current going into the inverter to a high degree with a
full-bridge converter.  Essentially this current will mimic the output
current so the capacitors see little ripple current.  This will of course
result in a large 120Hz component and some higher order harmonics from the
battery. The other option is to place a large amount of capacitance on the
bus and pull DC current out of battery with little AC current.

I suppose the answer lies somewhere between the two - I am just looking to
hear of any experience with commercial, military or ??

regards,
Yzordderrex
Reply to
Tim Williams