interesting video

I worry if I ski too many days without falling. But terrain parks and idiot snowboarders take care of that.

The occasional "yard sale" isn't especially dangerous.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

When things are right, just a microscopic knee twist is all you need to steer. No effort at all.

Plus a helpful rum+coke. It improves my skiing remarkably. Quit thinking and just do it.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

sure, but this is different from what you usually see; some parts are updated in every frame other things are only updated every second

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

An instructor was yelling at some tiny kids yesterday "French fries, not pizza!"

(ie, parallel, not wedge)

Pizzas are sometimes handy in a lift line where you don't have room to get sideways.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes. The entire sky refreshes about every 2 seconds. Obviously lots of individual pixels change a lot more often than that.

Maybe ski cams specifically recognize clouds and refresh them less often than other stuff. That would save a lot of bandwidth.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Pudding can twist joints all too easily. Breakable crust is as nasty as trees and metal objects, and if you encounter it, you can't go around it. 'Orrible stuff.

Even in good conditions, snow can be "entertaining". I well remember one 750m slope with nets /across/ the piste (you had to stop and go under). Dislodged snow accelerated down the moguls, and when someone lost a ski it took him 20 minutes to walk down to it.

Tell me about it :( But incompetent skiers can have equally severe consequences. But they are fewer and seem not to be magnetically attracted to stationary people.

Yup. We saw it from a distance (on the chairlift), and reported it when we reached the top hut. Then we had lunch, and found out about the result in the local paper a few days later.

Didn't stop us skiing then or later, but it usefully traps out the "I've done X and it never hurt me" statements.

How do you think mogul fields form :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oh, it didn't stop us skiing between trees at the side of "green" pistes. Not fast, but great fun working out where to go next :)

Between skiing, gliding and backpacking around India in her early teens, she wasn't badly set up for life's experiences. She still whined that I was wrapping her in cotton wool - only to come home after getting her final school results before university and say "Dad, I've booked a flight to Australia for a 6 months trip". Better than her other plan, Laos and Cambodia!

She recanted about the cotton wool when she got to university and realised what other people hadn't done.

Happy daze.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I dunno, I hurt myself worse (twisted my knee ligaments and can no longer ski) crewing in a local sailboat race than I ever did skiing. Of course you have to be in good shape to ski, folks who don't prepare for the season run a much greater risk of injury. I think skiing is safer than bicycling in most cities!

I ride one of my motorcycles daily to work and for fun, and have since I was 18. Your point? Life is to be lived, each of us chooses how we want to do that and the risks we are willing to take.

Heinlein said, politics is the only game for grownups. Having been in politics I can agree somewhat, but raising children is better IMHO.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

When I started motorcycling, I was advised "assume that people in cars can't see you." I modified that to "assume that they want to kill you."

Circuit design is more fun.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

r&ratio=16:9

ed

zombies who spend all day taking the lift to the top of the hill, using sk is to come back down, taking the lift back up, etc etc etc. Beyond amazing they're all walking around like they have a purpose.

d breaking bones.

self-preservation, and money to burn, it's a pretty good way of exhibiting both traits.

But less demanding. Components don't have their own ideas about what they w ant to do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

onsdag den 23. januar 2019 kl. 01.09.57 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

r&ratio=16:9

ed

zombies who spend all day taking the lift to the top of the hill, using sk is to come back down, taking the lift back up, etc etc etc. Beyond amazing they're all walking around like they have a purpose.

d breaking bones.

self-preservation, and money to burn, it's a pretty good way of exhibiting both traits.

doctors call motorcyclist organ donors ..

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

:

e:

ner&ratio=16:9

ated

on

of zombies who spend all day taking the lift to the top of the hill, using skis to come back down, taking the lift back up, etc etc etc. Beyond amazin g they're all walking around like they have a purpose.

and breaking bones.

in self-preservation, and money to burn, it's a pretty good way of exhibiti ng both traits.

And there isn't a market for donor brains.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"We have experienced a technical issue while trying to play the stream. Reloading the page may fix the issue, otherwise we'll take care of it as fast as we can."

Reply to
Robert Baer

They don't always agree with what I want them to do :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I torture them until they confess all.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The background is mostly static so it gets updated only when there is enough of a difference. The moving parts get updated quickly. This is pretty much how MPEG encoding is intended to work. The fixed background scene and relatively high tolerance of slow changes makes the clouds move erratically rather than smoothly but it is no real hardship. They have trimmed it for that scene and good fidelity at lowest bandwidth.

It can be very entertaining on a broken decoder like the UK's FreeSat ITV HD on some older Panasonics which cannot handle the error correction used on the latest system. The result is it drops chunks so you get dynamic components of the next scene overlaid on the previous scenes last index frame which for a film or news item renders it unwatchable.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

e:

e:

te:

nner&ratio=16:9

dated

ion

of zombies who spend all day taking the lift to the top of the hill, using skis to come back down, taking the lift back up, etc etc etc. Beyond amazi ng they're all walking around like they have a purpose.

and breaking bones.

re

in self-preservation, and money to burn, it's a pretty good way of exhibit ing both traits.

ce I

ant

hey want to do.

Torture doesn't work. They tell you what they think you want to hear.

More to the point, failure modes under very heavy loading aren't necessaril y the same as the kind of progressive degradation you can under a light loa d sustained for a long time. Metal migration is a case in point.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to