"intelligent" telephone answering machine

It is the private sector at work, displaying its usual (in)competence.

It is so bad that local councils are giving up on the government's throwing billions at private companies, and are reverting to the public sector doing it far more competently and cheaply.

Bloody libertarian political dogma will kill (worse maim) millions.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

UK

!

mean?

I will ask again... what is test and trace? Do you mean testing and tracin g for the pandemic???

Here in the US we have area codes and exchanges. Pretty much no one knows much about the exchanges since they are very local and most places have man y. Area codes cover a wide area, used to be similar to states until they s tarted to run out of exchanges. Now area codes overlap, but are still tied to geography. I guess the UK does it differently. 4 digit exchanges that do not indicate location at all?

--
  Rick C.

  -+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Yes - and they are phoning from numbers in a region code block that is almost invariably associated with unsolicited sales calls. Then they wonder why so many people fail to pick up the phone when called!

UK Test & trace is presently managing 15% results within 24 hours and

60% of contacts reached within the window where it does any good. They need to be 50+% and 80+% before it will make a worthwhile contribution.

It is similar in the UK there were originally 2,3 or 4 digit region codes beginning with "0" then a 3 digit exchange code and finally a 4 figure number. Eventually they ran out of numbers in London and some other major cities so all existing geographic numbers morphed to "01" whatever. Locally you can just dial the 6 or 7 digit code.

My rural exchange is a 6 digit local call type. Most cities are 7 digit.

These days you can port your landline number but I am unsure how far.

UK mobile phone numbers almost all begin "07".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown