Integrator in servo loop

Been a while since I messed with integrators. When one is inside a feedback loop to say, act as a "bias servo" to ensure some particular node is at ground potential, is it usually necessary to put a large value resistor across the integration cap to limit the LF gain?

It seems to work in Spice ok without it, but I haven't prototyped the circuit in the real world.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I've never needed to do that, although I've seen it in some older circuits.

I suspect that it has to do with op-amps that can't come off the rails cleanly, or that suffer from phase inversion when their differential voltage gets too high, or other such less than ideal behavior.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Usually not; the overall feedback loop should keep the integrator in its linear range.

Sometimes you'll see a clamp of some sort across the integration cap, back-to-back zeners or equivalent. That can keep the integrator from "winding up" from a sustained loop error. Windup can make recovery nasty.

A clamp can also limit the influence range of the integrator, which makes sense in some systems.

 Click to see the full signature

Sometimes there are two stable solutions and you need to encourage the control not to seek (say) the negative solution, but that's more of a limiting thing than a degeneration thing.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Copy of a copy of a copy....

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Thank you all for the advice. Sometimes when I ask for advice here I'm often not able to reply as quickly as I'd like as I'm mobile a lot and on a tablet, but I do see the replies and appreciate it.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes I don't respond to replies to queries as quicky or as often as I'd like here, because I'm mobile a lot these days and often using a phone or tablet. I can't thumb type anywhere near as well as the kids these days. But I do check the group regularly and appreciate it.

--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bitrex

So what I want to know, from someone with lots more gray hair than me, is why in heck was this a somewhat-common practice in designs in the 70's and 80's?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Well, yes -- but what was the reasoning of the guy who designed the prototype?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

What's the input offset voltage/current of the Spice model? In the real world, without the resistor, any DC offset will get integrated and the opamp will rail.

Reply to
krw

Presumably the integrator is inside a closed servo loop, and its input, the loop error, is actively driven to zero.

 Click to see the full signature

Yeah if it's inside a loop then an R across the integrator C just leads to a (small) offset. (In my experience.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It makes the loop gain finite, in other words it's not a PID loop any more.

There might be systems with stiction or backlash or something where infinite gain would be undesirable and in fact useless, so limiting the integrator gain might help. Especially as a kluge.

 Click to see the full signature

Not inside a loop it won't.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Just a wild guess: Taming the integrator at high (and varying) offset voltage.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to