Infrared block upconversion spectrometer

This is an interesting approach that's a bit like pulse-Doppler radar.

They take a 30 fs pulse in the 800 nm region, and rectify it to get a unipolar 30-fs pulse, which has energy throughout the optical equivalent of baseband (2-50 microns). The summary article is a bit sketchy, but it looks as though they use a seldom remarked property of second harmonic generation (SHG): Just like a bridge rectifier, it generates DC as well as second harmonic. With a pulse input, the "DC" is a unipolar pulse as well.

They send that broadband IR beam through the sample, and then upconvert it back to the visible, where it's easy to detect. It looks like they have a bit of a SNR problem at the edges, but that's not too hard to understand.

Cute idea, anyway--an excellent example of the way optics resembles early radio--fancier optics can resemble more modern radio.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Mon, 09 Sep 2013 11:12:03 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

How do you 'chirp' (that is frequency modulate no?) an optical pulse?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Back in Silicon Valley, a friend of one of my colleagues invented/created an 'optical' amplifier. When described to me, I actually envisioned the same scenario - the formative days of radio. What happened to that amplifier?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Send it through something dispersive (i.e., different index of refraction vs. frequency). Some examples include: non-ideal (physical) transmission lines, waveguides, and gravity waves (ripples on a pond).

What they usually do is point the beam at a diffraction grating, which reflects different frequencies at different angles (within an octave; of course, it wraps around after that, because the grating is periodic, which wouldn't be normal for dispersion), then collect the different angles with a mirror so they become a beam again, but displaced in position and therefore time. This beam can be amplified (preserving the frequency and phase) and sent back through a diffraction grating and focus mirror to restore the original pulse. This is how world record power levels are achieved, because the single pulse cannot be amplified as-is (it would burn a hole through the amplifying medium).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

OK, space has L and C so is a transmission line. We are used to transmitting CW and pulsed RF, but apparently we can send true rectangular pulses too.

As if the unequal-arm beam-splitter interferometer weren't mind-boggling enough already, now think about running unidirectional pulses through it.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The usual way is to use two diffraction gratings facing each other, so that the longer wavelengths (which get diffracted through a bigger angle) have to travel further, i.e. their path is a sharper Z. You can also just run it through a fibre, but the dispersion then is the other way round. In fact the grating trick was invented to complement the self-phase modulation and dispersion of a fibre, in order to make compressed pulses. Works great.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Both semiconductor and rare-earth doped fibre amplifiers are in wide use today. The main differences between them and RF amps is that they're much noisier and have no front/back isolation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Perhaps Phil can provide some analysis showing that "unidirectional" pulses are approachable as we approach light frequencies.

At "lower" frequencies we do this...

...Jim Thompson

As I understand it, there is no necessity to chirp. If you wanted to have a chirped pulse, you would send the original "30 fs pulse in the

800 nm region" through a dispersive medium. You will, however, end up with a longer chirped pulse. That chirped pulse could then be fed ubti a de-chirper to regain the compressed pulse.

The point Phil is trying to make is that the narrow base band pulse already contains a broad band of infrared frequencies that could be used to check IR frequency transmission with the single pulse.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
Reply to
Salmon Egg

Any crystal that has a quadratic nonlinearity has to generate 'DC' as well as second harmonic. The parlour trick will have been to make it all go in the same direction, which it normally wouldn't do.

Interfering the first and second harmonic in a SHG medium, with a bit of a chirp, would impose phase correlations that might make that work--you'd have a linear phase delay with distance at each frequency, i.e. each wavelength would have a transverse k vector corresponding to the same angle of incidence. That would make them all want to go in the corresponding direction, but it wouldn't happen by accident.

I'll have to get the actual paper and find out.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Mon, 09 Sep 2013 13:25:15 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

OK I see.

Thanks, I appreciate that, just learned something,

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sure -- for your domain, look up ridged horn antennas. Dunno, you might've used them before.

Tim