information theory?

Are there any boards, or private blogs, dedicated to discussion of information theory?

Rich

Reply to
RichD

Depending on the question comp.dsp is not a bad place. There are a fair number of comm people there.

Eric Jacobsen Anchor Hill Communications

Eric Jacobsen

Do you have a specific question? Or just want to lurk and learn?

Reply to
Chris

Hey, you're really outer this world...

You should buy lottery tickets!

I tried to send a Mandelbrot zoom gif I found on the web to a friend. I had not previously realized that it was 83MB in size!

It is a REALLY DEEP zoom. It just keeps going and going. I wish I could post it somewhere.

Does anybody remember "FracTools" on a 286 or 386? (or FracTools II)

Now, there are better multi- method generation engine applications out there now, but I don't like the bit blt graininess at deep zooms. (or I

Reply to
FigureItOut

The Universe (at least this one) is over 13 billion years old, so I would think that the first (animal) sex was significantly earlier than a mere 3 billion years, because it occurred far, far away from here.

But the rest is spot on and universal, I'm sure!

Reply to
The Great Attractor

I believe the fossil evidence for sexual reproduction on this planet dates back only 1-1.25 billion years.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

Seems about close to right, from searching on-line references:

From an article by N.J. Butterfield:

"Differential spore/gamete formation shows Bangiomorpha pubescens to have been sexually reproducing, the oldest reported occurrence in the fossil record."

and ca. "1200-Ma Hunting Formation" , so about 1.2 billion years ago.

Cf.: <

David Bernier

--
true prophets are the gateway to true revelation
false prophets are the gateway to false revelation

It is PIN, not "PIN number".

BAAAAAhahahahahahaa!

Reply to
MrTallyman

It was a fairly obvious joke, dear. Now the joke's on you.

--
[Australia-wide floods restricted to Brisbane river:]
Well in the real city, Brisbane, where they might actually keep long-

Yes, that is what he said!

Reply to
unruh

Ummm... wrong, ditz. Now, the twit is you.

Oh wait... that was already true too!

Reply to
MrTallyman

DimBulb, you don't constantly have to show just how stupid you are. We *got* it, a decade back.

Reply to
krw

Yes he does. It's kind of like a daily joke. Or something.

Reply to
JW

But we "got it" more than a decade ago.

Reply to
krw

Your biggest problem is that you think I didn't.

Reply to
MrTallyman

No, I don't think you DID get it, AlwaysWrong. *YOU* are the joke.

Reply to
krw

An early draft of roughly the same work is still online at Albany:

Courtesy of Carlos Rodriguez

Cornell is still a goldmine of Bayesian inference material even if some of the links are now defunct

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown