Infamous aluminum-lifting electromagnet, DIY proj

Is this 1950s? DIY project online anywhere? My google-fu is failing.

I first encountered it as a library-nerd in 1970s grade school. The device was a 120VAC electromagnet version of a pot-magnet with the iron shell for med from bent wires, and with a thin Cu/Al plate fastened against the outsi de face of the coil. It lifts flat pieces of nonferrous metals by inductio n. While the copper plate would be repelled, *two* copper plates have curr ents induced in the same direction, and attract each other. So, we can fas ten a copper plate to an AC electromagnet, and let it pick up flat pieces o f copper. Or any nonferrous plate.

These below are online, and I *thought* one of them had the project. I gue ss it's in one I haven't found yet. I think the title was something like "

3rd book of boys electricity" or similar.

American Boys Book Of Electricity

Harper's electricity book for boys

Electricity for Boys

Note the warning in the last one! So, a serious recommendation? Heh.

"WARNING: This book of one hundred years ago describes experiments which are too dangerous to attempt by either adults or children. It is published for historical interest only."

"You can see that I am working with aluminum. And at first a niobium magnet . And then repulsing the aluminum washers with an electromagnet. And in the second movie I use another magnet design in that book, to actually lift al uminum washers that are really not effected by the niobium magnet."

omagent-0.wmv

Bill Beaty