Industrial connector suggestions

Hi, all,

I've been working on a couple of industrial sensor projects. For reasons of cost and signal integrity, they're basically analogue boxes that connect to a digitizer/controller board via Displayport cables. Displayports have 17 wires, including four individually shielded twisted pairs with excellent signal integrity, and they're cheap like borscht.

Initially the sensors were intended to go in fairly benign environments, so Displayport was fine, but now we have new requirements for them to work in nastier places.

The first is for fire detection on farm machinery, and the other is blood spot detection in hen's eggs. Both require the sensors to be rain-proof and/or washable, so something like IP66 is de rigueur.

For now, we're probably going to use Displayports inside IP66 boxes, with two-piece cable glands so that we can use prefab cables.

Longer term, we'll probably want to switch to a genuine waterproof connector system.

Any faves in that line?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den tirsdag den 13. februar 2018 kl. 17.05.01 UTC+1 skrev Phil Hobbs:

we use HDMI, one thing we have seen is that some cable must use extremely thin wires so if you intend to use more than a few 100mA on the 5V there can be quite a bit of voltage drop

something like this?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not that many pins, but I'm using 4 or 8 pin M12 connectors whenever possible. Rock solid, cables are easily available in industrial places.

--
mikko
Reply to

Interesting, thanks!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Check SwitchCraft for ConXall, they have IP67 HDMI connectors.

FYI, we've used VPI for some obscure rightangle Ethernet cables. no complaints.

Martin Riddle

If automotive rather than strictly industrial is fine, a lot of those rectangular automotive connectors with rubber seals are astonishingly cheap compared to the standard alternatives.

They do take up more space, and you'll probably want to either shop for premade assemblies, or contract with a harness builder to get them. No idea if that's going to screw up your cost (and other things) balance.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

The IP66 requirement seems to be pretty firm.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs