Industrial connector suggestions

Hi, all,

I've been working on a couple of industrial sensor projects.  For
reasons of cost and signal integrity, they're basically analogue boxes
that connect to a digitizer/controller board via Displayport cables.
Displayports have 17 wires, including four individually shielded twisted
pairs with excellent signal integrity, and they're cheap like borscht.

Initially the sensors were intended to go in fairly benign environments,
so Displayport was fine, but now we have new requirements for them to
work in nastier places.

The first is for fire detection on farm machinery, and the other is
blood spot detection in hen's eggs.  Both require the sensors to be
rain-proof and/or washable, so something like IP66 is de rigueur.

For now, we're probably going to use Displayports inside IP66 boxes,
with two-piece cable glands so that we can use prefab cables.

Longer term, we'll probably want to switch to a genuine waterproof
connector system.

Any faves in that line?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

we use HDMI, one thing we have seen is that some cable must use extremely
thin wires so if you intend to use more than a few 100mA on the 5V there
can be quite a bit of voltage drop

something like this? https://www.vpi.us/c/waterproof-hdmi-connectors-cables-371

Re: Industrial connector suggestions
Interesting, thanks!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: Industrial connector suggestions

Not that many pins, but I'm using 4 or 8 pin M12 connectors whenever
possible. Rock solid, cables are easily available in industrial places.

--
mikko

Re: Industrial connector suggestions
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:04:49 -0500, Phil Hobbs

Check SwitchCraft for ConXall, they have IP67 HDMI connectors.

FYI, we've used VPI for some obscure rightangle Ethernet cables. no
complaints.

Cheers

Re: Industrial connector suggestions
If automotive rather than strictly industrial is fine, a lot of those
rectangular automotive connectors with rubber seals are astonishingly cheap
compared to the standard alternatives.

They do take up more space, and you'll probably want to either shop for
premade assemblies, or contract with a harness builder to get them.  No idea
if that's going to screw up your cost (and other things) balance.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Re: Industrial connector suggestions

The IP66 requirement seems to be pretty firm.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs