Induction cooktops, temperature control questions

Am 30.05.19 um 19:21 schrieb Jan Panteltje:

A sheet of kitchen aluminium foil still works. It even gets somewhat warm.

Putting the pot on some wooden chopsticks works also, so it cannot be the distance.

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Drilling holes in my brew kettle? Nah. That big thing must be schlepped into an unused shower for scrubbing and cleaning. Also, a leak in that area would be really messy. Wort has a gooeiness similar to molasses.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

_Gyro_ Gearloose, please. A gem among the second-tier comics.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

here he is called Georg

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I suspect it gets real hard to effective transfer that much power through conduction with out things getting red hot, probably why the high powers are only easily available as induction

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In Germany "Daniel Duesentrieb", referring to the old term Duesentriebwerk for jet engine. Whenever a new comic book about them came out during my childhood I had to have it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's a matter of diameter. The 1kW burners do become red hot in sections of the coil but they are small. You just need a larger one to do 3500W.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On May 30, 2019, Joerg wrote (in article ):

sh

her

n't

ing

fin

can

th

n an

er.

to the bottom, and then the coils to the plate.

.

and

One glues the coils to the pot with silicon rubber adhesive. Nothing else is required.

.

One problem with automation is loss of attention span.

If one has 3500 watt coils, I would not skip the safety stuff. If for instance one accidentally turned the power on with an empty pot, the bottom would probably melt.

Anyway, you seem happy with your current solution.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On that note, let me recommend wrapping flexible heat tape around the kettle; a fiberglass wrap to serve as a kettle cozy, and it'll look JUST like a high-vacuum bakeout in a science lab.

Reply to
whit3rd

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 May 2019 16:07:10 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

In the Netherlands: 'Willy Wortel' later 'Willie Wortel'. In Dutch:

I liked to read those strips.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

You could make the two layer pot idea and place oil with a very high smoke/flash point in between to mediate the thermal. And that will certainly be able to pump a pot of water at the boiling point.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Nomex (R) transformer paper can be bought in very high thicknesses. A couple tenths of an inch. That stuff no burn.

It can be ordered in 4 x 8 foot sheets from a thousandth inch thickness all the way up the chart. Good stuff for thrmal insulation/containment. NOT good for any transferrence.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I tried to keep up my Dutch yesterday, watching VRT news and Urbanus. Well, that's not exactly Dutch I guess.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If it's not glue that can work though it would also need an insulation wrap if I heat the outside instead of from underneath. The tape might not take kindly to wrapping and unwrapping for each batch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The coil thermostat should then kick in just like it does on regular electric cooktops.

Not really but I am realizing that there may not be another solution easily achievable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Fri, 31 May 2019 06:56:45 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I like short Dutch news without a lot of pictures:

click on the page numbers next to the headlines. You can always get pictures by selecting 'Nieuws' top left.

Bit more info in Dutch from this site:

I use an ad blocker....

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Ah, Teletekst, that's a blast from the past. It was very efficient, my dad used it to track our flight when we came for a visit. It was very limited in content though because they sent it all inside the V-sync space on TV.

In the videos they all have an accent ...

That is nice.

Same here. I like it that NOS lets people decline personalized ads.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On May 31, 2019, Joerg wrote (in article ):

than

aluminum

and

and

Not really, as the thermal path is laterally in the aluminum pot bottom, and the lack of fluid prevents convection, further isolating sensor area from coil area. And the sensor cannot be too close to the coil, to ensure that in normal operation the sensor is dominated by the fluid temperature, versus the coil temperature.

In safety, one also covers the various failure modes, like the sensor breaking or losing thermal contact with the pot bottom. Industrial temperature controllers generally incorporate shorted or open sensor trips. Mechanical loss of thermal contact is hard for the controller to detect. A common approach is a second sensor that the controller uses to declare over-temperature and shut down.

For home appliances, a standard requirement is that the appliance not set the house on fire, even if the controller has shorted so the heater is stuck at full power for hours. The appliance may or may not survive.

. Hmm. Would something like this 220-volt European electric hob work:

.

Or this:

.

One could mount the sensor or sensors somewhere between the two hobs.

If the pot bottom is not flat enough, sand it flat using wet-dry sandpaper face-up on a stone counter.

.

Maybe it?s easier to just buy a microbrewery?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

[...]

On my current cheap cooktops that's different. If the thermal contact between coil and pot diminshes or is lost the burner thermostat turns it off very quickly.

OFten there is a thermofuse in it for such events. That can be a non-resettable one so if there was no pot and the regular thermostat failed at the same time the burner would turn off and could never be used again.

It would but not much power advantages versus my current 2x 1kW. Also, the large diameter pot would cover the control knobs, makes the hot and hard to control.

Same power as my current burners so no advantage. Two of these, however, that would give my brew kettle a 50% power boost:

Look at the orange glow they drove the coil into. I'd never do that.

The thermostat isn't my problem, that works well. The lack of power is the issue. That is partly due to the wimpy power circuits in the US. In America everything is bigger, except that. When we moved here I was happily setting up a den. When I wanted to print a few pages with my old European printer ... PHUT ... I sat in the dark. What the heck? Then I learned that typical residential ciruits over here are a measly

120V/15A. No wonder.

Nah, those don't provide much advantage but take a chunk out of the bank account. I like to brew "by hand" like in the old days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The tapes are commonly re-used; for some apparatus, it is normal to stitch up a garment (very much like a tea cozy) and lace or snap it into place for each bake-out. Sidewall heating might work best, however, with a stirring arrangement so the bottom doesn't get cold.

Reply to
whit3rd