Indium solder

Win Hill recommended indium solder from Zephyrtronics, but they want $10 a foot.

Is anything inferior about this stuff?

Tom Del Rosso

Right after posting I looked at the magnified picture. It's tin/lead and Indium is the company name!

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Still a good price.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

It expires at 3 yrs old, does that mean I shouldn't eat the 28 yr old solder I use? :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Kester 44 still rules.

And yeah, In solder is expensive. OTOH you don't need much.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

How much do you need? I've got a foot or two of indium wire, maybe in some other form too. (mostly left over from low temperature 'pressed indium' seals.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

_READ_ the label; the solder is NOT indium, it is Sn63 Pb37; it is made by Indium corp.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, one can buy their indium solder from Indium.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

why does one need indium solder?

makolber

It solders at low temperature, doesn't eat gold plating, wets glass and ceramics as well as metal, and stays soft enough at room temperature to stand a lot of thermal cycling while remaining a hermetic seal.

On the minus side, it corrodes easily and is very expensive.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I cracked pieces of Si wafers, and made contact to the edges with bits of wire and indium. It's great for low temperature seals. My lab's prescription, called for a clean layer of indium and then a smear of vacuum grease. (grease is not good for UHV.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Gallium wets glass too, (I think). I never tried soldering with it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes, it does. It liquefies in the palm of your hand, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It also eats aluminium, amongst other metals.

It's fun to play with, however.

Reply to
David Brown

Right, I bought a big piece for my daughter and I to play with. I came into the kitchen and found her hands all stained. Pieces then went into a zip lock bag.

I guess a solder that melts at ~30C is not all that useful.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

If it wets glass and ceramic then does it wet bare FR4 or the shellac coating?

After desoldering and re-soldering, does the trace amount remaining create a corrosion issue?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Not in my experience.

Re-soldering with what?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Silver or tin/lead. (Probably the latter since melting silver must be a problem if the indium was needed.)

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes, it easily forms gallium oxide which makes your hands black. It is not poisonous or anything (thus safer than playing with mercury!), but that black stuff spreads /fast/ when the kid touches their clothes, the wall, the bathroom sink, etc. Having discovered this the hard way, we play with gallium outside and have a bucket of warm soapy water at hand (or use disposable gloves).

Below that temperature, gallium is surprisingly strong. You might expect it to be soft near its melting point, but it is entirely solid. So you can make a realistic teaspoon from it to surprise your friends when they try to stir their tea...

Reply to
David Brown

Do you stop them before they drink it?

Reply to