IF frequency qu

I know that IF frequency is the difference between the incoming signal and the local oscilator frequency in a frequency synthesizer. My question is why in a frequency synthesizer we need the IF frequency>

Reply to
thejim

For a simple approach, you don't need IF. You may be able to generate the RF directly when the VCO is able to do so.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

A synthesizer doesn't need an IF ("IF frequency" is redundant -- "IF" stands for "Intermediate Frequency").

Some multi-loop synthesizers have an IF sort of thing, but by no means all.

What is the context? What raised the question in your mind?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Because in a tuner you need to select a particular frequency for amplification and detection. You could do this with a very sharp variable-frequency bandpass filter, but this is expensive and unstable. Instead you use a very sharp FIXED-frequency bandpass filter on the IF. This also has the advantage of avoiding feedback from the tuner back to it's antenna - the input and output frequencies from the mixer are completely different.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
Joseph Legris