Identify Wire

I've got lots of single conductor stranded reels of wire to identify. How do I tell if it's 0.1 or 0.2mm strands? My calipers aren't accurate enough.

All I can think so far is to snip a bit and optically compare.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

m:

do I tell if it's 0.1 or 0.2mm strands? My calipers aren't accurate enough .

measure resistance of know length?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Microscope with reticle, or comparator (little hand-held lens-with-scale gizmos). Or, look up the part number on the reel. There usually is one (and your goods-receiving folk should write a label if there isn't).

Reply to
whit3rd

Or measure fusing current. Or weigh a know length.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Microscope with reticle, or comparator (little hand-held lens-with-scale gizmos). Or, look up the part number on the reel. There usually is one (and your goods-receiving folk should write a label if there isn't).

Buy a micrometer ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

0.2mm is 0.00787" What caliper can't measure 7 thousandths?

Wind it on a pencil? 13 turns (12.6 turn) per 0.1 inch. (0.2mm)

0.1mm is .00393"

Martin Riddle

This is to identify unlabelled cables. Goods in could write one, but with the data coming only from their imagination it would not be helpful.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'll try that, and see if the length required for adequate accuracy is not excessive. It might be.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I like that idea. Whether it can be done gaplessly enough I'm not sure, but can find out.

I suspect buying a better micrometer may be the solution.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Another chinese made coil? Hardly enough copper to last around an average humidity environment.

I would use a micrometer. I have one that does 1/10 of a th.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Yes, a good micrometer is a good investment.

Martin Riddle

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 21:45:14 -0400, Martin Riddle Gave us:

Strand gauge is usually not needed . Overall gauge is and strand count, and you could easily derive the strand gauge with that knowledge.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 19:10:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Harbor freight $20

Home Depot maybe $25

Us and metric all in one, and no need for calibration if labeled "for reference only". Still complies with ISO standards at that point.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

assuming micrometer calipers is something you don't have:

Wind 20 turns on a needle (or similar tool) and measure with a ruler. (or ordinary measuring calipers if you got 'em)

for more precision you could stick the 20 turn winding and ruler on a scanner...

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Even the $10 (on sale) dial calipers from Harbor freight will do that. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Get even more use out of the cheap ones. The harbor freight dial calipers are cheap enough to use to scribe lines to mark cutting or folding lines. They'll be on sale again for the next set. Although, I'm disappointed they don't put the dial calipers on sale now, only the electronic ones. Why mess with a battery when the dial works fine. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yup, looks like time to upgrade from vernier to dial.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 13:03:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

No... caliper, digital.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ha, you paid to much even though I did pay that for one from HF however, I also got a one form Aldie's and they were clearing them out, I think I paid like 5 bucks for them, digital dial works just as good as the HF.

If you don't use this stuff everday they're great..

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Dial calipers don't have dead batteries every time you want to use the tool.

Reply to
krw