Identification of modules - Page 2

Re: Identification of modules

Similar to the shift register approach maybe use something like
a SN74ABT8245 to setup a JTAG chain.  With that octal part
you would have 16 bits of config data/temp data you could
clock out.  Not a cheap solution though.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Re: Identification of modules

How limited a flash retention time?  Flash is usually guaranteed for 10
years, but I've seen anecdotal evidence for a much longer time.

How much board space can you use up?  There used to be some 7400 series
parallel-in serial out registers that should be at least semi-compatible
with SPI.  If they still exist, two or three chips should let you clock
out a 16-bit binary number.

There's less and less of that sort of thing out there because there's
more and more microprocessors.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services