Identification of connector needed

I have some equipment that uses a connector I am trying to identify to repl ace it due to an open circuit in it. The unit is a molded connector with a plastic body identical to a sub D connector. However, in stead of pins/sock ets, it has what looks like a double sided PCB board with multiple connecto r strips on each side.

Can anyone provide the technical name for this connector and a likely manuf acturer?

Thanks in advance, Meggsie

Reply to
mrrar.refugees

Den torsdag den 10. marts 2016 kl. 01.31.36 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.co m:

place it due to an open circuit in it. The unit is a molded connector with a plastic body identical to a sub D connector. However, in stead of pins/so ckets, it has what looks like a double sided PCB board with multiple connec tor strips on each side.

ufacturer?

centronics?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:44:02 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

Seems in our modern age that he could post a picture of it since his description leaves a few thing to be desired.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's generally called a 'ribbon connector'; Amphenol "Micro Blue Ribbon 36" was the archetypical conector for printers for a while. See "IEEE1284 connector" - there's three types, the biggest is the MBR, the smallest is a more modern ribbon connector. Count the positions of the contacts: they come in LOTS of sizes, from multiple manufacturers, some standardized (and some proprietary).

Reply to
whit3rd

People may call that a ribbon connector, but there are many types of ribbon connectors and this term does not identify this connector at all.

--

Rick
Reply to

com:

replace it due to an open circuit in it. The unit is a molded connector wit h a plastic body identical to a sub D connector. However, in stead of pins/ sockets, it has what looks like a double sided PCB board with multiple conn ector strips on each side.

anufacturer?

No that's not it. I thought of that connector as I was writing my question. The body is the same as a sub d. Thanks for the quick reply. If I can pos t a picture of it I do that. Thanks again Lasse.

Reply to
mrrar.refugees

You could try searching Google with a picture. That seems to work fairly well in many cases. I'm amazed they have the resources to categorize photos on the web. I expect they have more computing resources than the NSA or any research institution. Amazing!

So how long before the Internet becomes self aware and starts posting on Facebook?

--

Rick
Reply to

com:

replace it due to an open circuit in it. The unit is a molded connector wit h a plastic body identical to a sub D connector. However, in stead of pins/ sockets, it has what looks like a double sided PCB board with multiple conn ector strips on each side.

anufacturer?

on further inspection you may likely correct. The screw fittings and body a re like a sub d connector but the internals are like a centronics (20 pin). Instead of the clips that I'm familiar with, this connector has screws lik e the sub d. Images on Google show they now come in that form. Thanks Lasse .

Reply to
mrrar.refugees

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 22:55:45 -0500, rickman Gave us:

Well for one thing, it is NOT "sub D". It is "D sub".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There's a micro Centronics line. Also the IEE 488, GPIB is similar and has screw mounting.

Martin Riddle

to replace it due to an open circuit in it. The unit is a molded connector with a plastic body identical to a sub D connector. However, in stead of pi ns/sockets, it has what looks like a double sided PCB board with multiple c onnector strips on each side.

y manufacturer?

y are like a sub d connector but the internals are like a centronics (20 pi n). Instead of the clips that I'm familiar with, this connector has screws like the sub d. Images on Google show they now come in that form. Thanks La sse.

Thanks everyone. It seems it is a micro Centronics 20-pin plug but with scr ew mounting. Have had no success finding a supplier of a single unit that i s not molded. My problem is I have a molded plug that has an open circuit i n it and I cannot get replacement cable off supplier of unit. Coming to con clusion I get the Dremel tool and cut away side to access wires, fix open c ircuit (like open heart surgery) and fill with neutral cure sealant. I app reciate all the help. Lasse was quick suggesting Centronics connector. The screw aspect of my connector appears to be uncommon. Thanks again. First ti me on this site and has proved very useful. Cheers

Reply to
Meggsie

Just to be clear, the 'Centronics' name identifies a defunct manufacturer of printers, NOT a maker of connectors. Amphenol and Honda are manufacturers, and do call anything 'Centronics' as it is not their trademark...

This is one of the 'micro' connector lines:

Reply to
whit3rd

Cinch or Amphenol Blue Ribbon or Micro Ribbon?

--

-TV
Reply to

GPIB ?

TTman

You are aware that some posts are written by bots coded in the spirit of Eliza, right?

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

No matter what they call it, "centronics" or "micro centronics" is far more descriptive than something like "a tiny amphenol connector" or "the Honda series referenced in PDF EC_HDR2009526.PDF".

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I wouldn't know. I'm not on facebook.

--

Rick
Reply to

This has happened since... forever . On Usenet.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Interesting. Can you give some examples, sources, links, etc? Thanks

Reply to
John S

I kind of can't. 1) it's been too long and 2) it didn't seem like bot writers would fess up and take credit like you'd expect. They (probably) felt it would lead to negative consequences, like losing an NNTP account.

Google just has nothing on the subject that's easily findable.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to