ICEs vs EVs and the oil supply/price

If all cars sold based on their lack of being poorly made, crude handling, lousy mpg, and poor value for the money nobody would ever buy a Jeep Wrangler. A shit-headed, impractical vehicle any logical standard it totally sucks as a passenger car and it mostly sucks as an off-road vehicle.

But Jeep sells them by the boatload, way more total sold than Chevy has sold Chevy Volts or many other similarly well-designed and practical vehicles, for sure.

Reply to
bitrex

If you want to be energy efficient, how about just not using a 3 tonne vehicle to cart 100kg humans?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

"I would say a high proportion of Wranglers never see dirt."

to summarize the "nature" of being many typical American car-buyers it's about looking like you do stuff. not actually doing it who has time for that.

Reply to
bitrex

Trucks are for hauling cargo!

The fact that many American Human Big Bubba Leroy Tuff-n-Stuffs drive them mostly for looks and to feel like a bad-ass who would definitely shoot n poop all over one of dem dere y'all pussy snowflake teeee-raitors, in the way a Real Man does if given the opportunity, isn't what I would do with one or even up to me that's their decision I suppose.

Reply to
bitrex

Unsprung weight isn't a good thing.

When we lived in VT, I had a 4WD puckup with the off-road package. I'd tell my wife that I had 4WD and that I could go anywhere and that I could even go off the road. 4WD doesn't help you stop.

And illegal in most of the country, even where snow is a common occurrence. For good reason.

Reply to
krw

There goes shorty again. Dumber than ShitBit.

Reply to
krw

My wife likes to be warm and out of the rain.

She gets motion sick so I have two distinct driving modes.

lunatic fringe electronics

As long as the PV inverter feeds a normal AC network, the mains frequency controls the power delivered,just as in the case of a real synchronous generator.

Paralleling multiple sources into a DC network is trickier. If each generator would have a high internal source resistance, paralleling DC sources would be simple, but this would cause a lot of losses.

HVDC links are usually only point-to-point, especially all SCR based systems. IGBT stations sources can be paralled, but this requires data communication between source stations.

Reply to
upsidedown

nobody does that here ever. Trucks have so many downsides over cars.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You bought the best example of American crap from the best example of a crap company (note that FCA is _not_ a US company). I suppose you'd consider Lucas and Fiat (to circle around to FCA again) as the best of European automotive companies?

Reply to
krw

te:

*

minutes

-beyond

that all the power is solar. My guess is overall, maybe 10% comes from the panels. AC units consume LARGE amounts of power and in Chicagoland in summe

require power and the panels are dead and even with battery storage, I ser iously doubt they have excess power during the day.

on

old

d climates. The car is harder to move because everything stiffens up - tire s, lubricants and just driving on snow is equivalent to a constant incline. The batteries are less effective in the cold and the driver doesn't want t o be in a cold car. You don't have an engine with waste heat to tap into wh ich means using electricity for heat. Granted a heat pump (are those used i n cars?) is less wasteful than resistive heating but you don't have that mu ch to begin with. Then the 'fun' part. Re fueling can take hours and your r ange can drop to less than half. Just what I want. Drive 150 miles and the n charge for an hour and drive another 150 miles. Hybrids make a whole lot more sense.

uess the Norwegians just drive to the store and back. Do a YouTube search

th a model X. Yeah, he has some issues, but for the most part the cars jus t keep on truckin'.

any

,

e a real beating.

enough power to deal with getting stuck in ice & snow, the other 2 wheels d riven from the main engine. It all costs though.

You can just buy a BMW i8 plug in hybrid ;-)

" 1.5-liter, 3-cylinder gasoline engine drives the rear wheels through a 6- speed automatic transmission and the electric motor powers the front wheels through a 2-speed automatic transmission."

Made in Leipzig. 0-100km/h in 4.4 seconds. Not quite Corvette territory, bu t pretty decent.

Until the latest government here in Ontario they were subsidizing this with taxpayer dollars as a hybrid. $7000 or something like that on a $210,000 (C anadian dollar) car.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

Americans gladly subsidize the lifestyles of the wealthy with their taxpayer dollars all the time not just on hybrid cars, lol.

If there were a government program to directly subsidize Ferrari purchases with tax dollars for down-on-their-luck millionaires with only a couple million dollars in the bank as opposed to 50 million thousands of Americans would sign up for the privilege. "Oh me! Please, me!"

Reply to
bitrex

[...]

So not like Uber, although superfically similar. Thanks for explaining.

If there's a shortage of truck drivers that could hurt Tesla's plans to use self-built trucks for shipping.

--
  Whe1n I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.
Reply to

well I'm relieved to hear it. I still haven't seen anything I'd consider buying though, the US seems to have very different ideas about transport to here.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are we talking a Grand Cherokee or the Cherokee XJ? The Cherokee XJ is pretty well-respected as a practical and reliable workhorse around here, though not a particularly safe vehicle by modern standards.

Reply to
bitrex

but having had a Cherokee once I can't see one.

r buying though, the US seems to have very different ideas about transport to here.

Jeep Cherokee many years ago, can't remember if it was 1st or 2nd generatio n. It was bought for heavyish towing, at which it was an unmitigated disast er. It came new with a helpful selection of faults. It guzzled fuel. Handli ng was crap. Pointless crap broke but couldn't be left unfixed. It fell apa rt much too soon. Its resale value was rock bottom. Shoulda got a Transit.

Funny thing I've noticed about cars is that how good they turn out to be of ten has nothing to do with price or reputation.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I figure their eventual goal would be to make them autonomous. I don't think the trucking industry overall cares at this point if one very wealthy company has its own fleet of autonomous or semi-autonomous trucks most will not be able to afford them at least initially.

Down the road I'm sure it's a future-tech the industry has on its mind, railroads too.

There were some conspiracy-theory posts on some site maybe ZeroHedge a while back about thousands of unsold Model 3s "rusting away" in the dry, sunny California sun. The more pedestrian explanation was Tesla simply didn't have the funds to ship all of them out to their customers at once at a reasonable price. For the right price, sure, you could have every class-whatever auto rack-qualified owner-operator down there ASAP to move them but Tesla understandably didn't want to pay that price, they very much needed to make a profit off the batch. So there are many other loads that need hauling and I is/was a when-we-get-around-to-it situation.

Reply to
bitrex

Certainly. We actually have somewhere to drive and roads wide enough to carry stuff there.

Reply to
krw

Tesla is talking about automated caravans with a driver in the first truck.

lunatic fringe electronics

Elon Musk likes to think and talk big but it's not like people haven't had similar ideas before. You don't need much automation to run road-trains of maybe four or five trailers:

Before 20-unit Musk road trains start beating the shit out of the interstates and making a nuisance for gasoline-tax -> road maintenance paying drivers the state tax-payers probably will want something to say about it. The railroad lobby isn't inconsiderable, either.

Reply to
bitrex