Ice transparent to microwaves ?

** Seems it is true.

Microwaves heat water but NOT ice !!!

I just put a frozen bottle (plastic) of lemonade in the microwave - pushed "start" and the darn thing arced over at the horn outlet - just as it regularly does if no food is in the oven.

A little Googling tells me this is normal, you cannot heat ice ( or frozen drinks ) in a microwave.

The TRICK is to put the frozen bottle in warm water first, so it partly liquefies - THEN into the microwave for a couple of minutes - so the liquid water heats and melts the ice.

Who woulda thunk ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Den mandag den 20. januar 2014 08.24.04 UTC+1 skrev Phil Allison:

that is the reason for on-off cycling when using the microwave defrost on to heat the liquid water, off to let it melt ice

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

All energy will be absorbed in outer layer. So outer layer will be burnout. Inner remain frozen.

Reply to
Artem

Interesting thanks, Did you find any links better than this?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Interesting. However, when I put a can of frozen OJ (minus the top lid) in my uwave for 60 sec, it thaws nicely with no arcing or problems at all. Art

Reply to
Artemus

OJ has a lot of electrolytes in it -- it doesn't fully freeze. After all, it's still kinda gooey. Kind of the consistency of... sitting on the toilet after a lot of... oh, never mind.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

And somewhere in the THz too, I think? At least, those pictures of women going through the airport scanners seem fairly opaque.

Water is weird. (Or should that be wierd?)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Circulating currents in the can might be kinda - interesting...

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Just about everything is opaque at thermal wavelengths. That's why all those germanium and ZnSe lenses.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The can tube is cardboard. Only the bottom end is metal. Art

Reply to
Artemus

"RobertMacy" Phil Allison

** The lemonade was an unopened, 1.25 litre bottle that had been in the freezer compartment part of a fridge overnight.

That the microwaves arced instantly is interesting, cos even a small amount of water ( or food ) prevents that happening.

So 1.25 litres of frozen (sugar free) lemonade absorbed practically no microwave energy.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Everybody KNOWS it's i before e except after c What can I say? weird society.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Den tirsdag den 21. januar 2014 01.00.02 UTC+1 skrev Robert Macy:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

People have the same problem trying to heat rocks in the microwave.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Well it is bipolar :^) (polar) It also has (almost) it's entire 'atomic' heat capacity (3kT per atom) as a liquid.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've never been able to remember that one. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Like Brawndo. (The thirst mutilator.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

defrost

lid)

at

Bwando, she no home.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Reading posts made by BS? And then you need a LONG shower.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think they used lava rocks when demonstrating the Heath microwave.

Greg

Reply to
gregz