IC heat disipation calculations

=_NextPart_000_0054_01C7F019.CA8EE700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi All,

I am looking for heat disipation theory and calculations.

I have a dc-dc NCP3063 switching regulator in a SOIC pakage and I am = trying to get a handle on the heat disipation calc's becuase I suspect = it is over heating and shutting down. data sheet here =

SOIC-8 Thermal Resistance Junction-to-Air R=04JA 180 =B0C/W

24v in 12V out Bucket design

Any pointers would be appreciated

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

get a handle on the heat disipation calc's becuase I suspect it is over heating and shutting down.

Some chip makers (National, Texas, Linear) have good downloadable app notes on heat sinking.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

get a handle on the heat disipation calc's becuase I suspect it is over heating and shutting down.

How hot does the top of the package get? Does freeze spray fix the shutdown?

Glue a heatsink to the package and see if that helps.

What's your output current?

What is "Bucket design"?

John

ying to get a handle on the heat disipation calc's becuase I suspect it i= s over heating and shutting down.

P3063PG

I don't understand the question. The package has a 180=20 degree C temperature rise above ambient for each watt it=20 dissipates. Board layout can alter this a bit, since the=20 copper traces are the main path for heat to escape the chip.

By Bucket design, I assume you mean buck converter.

What output current is this chip supplying?

Is the chip being heated by proximity to the output diode?

Reply to
John Popelish

get a handle on the heat disipation calc's becuase I suspect it is over heating and shutting down.

Something along the lines of:

Pd~= (Vin * Icc) + (VSWCE(DROP) * Iswitch(avg) * ton/(ton + toff))

Should come close (although it ignores losses during the darlington switching, so actual losses are going to be higher). VSWCE(DROP) is 1.3V max., 1.0V typical. Icc is 7mA max.

The SOIC package is not very good for power dissipation.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany