IBM moves procurement to PRD

Hello Spehro,

Anybody who does serious consumer electronics R&D would. That's where a lot of the stuff I did for clients is being manufactured. The number of distributors alone that are in Shenzen is astounding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Interesting.

I wonder how many people worldwide could even find Shenzhen (pop. around 12 million) on a map.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

True, but it's not exactly a household word outside of industries (such as ours) that source from there. I think most of the foreigners living there are still those who live in the Shekou district and are involved the exploitation of the oil resources under the Bohai sea.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You got to be kidding! The electronic industry there is most likely bigger than the one in your city, whereever you are in.

Reply to
linnix

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:fX6Zg.17248$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net...

I've never been there, and have absolutely no business to go there, but wouldn't mind a holiday trip ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Hello Frank,

For vacation trips my wife and I try to avoid cities larger than pop

5000 :-)
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Definitely one place you wouldn't want to go for a holiday unless you find industrial zones relaxing. Wait, I spoke too quickly: they have Karaoke bars.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Or perhaps to see how lucky you are at home, away from the smoky air and dark rivers.

Reply to
linnix

Other than Chinese tourists visiting a couple of theme parks (neither of which would be of much interest to westerners, I think) there is very, very little there to interest a tourist. Think a brasher, ruder, more polluted version of New York, with very little of the stuff that makes NYC interesting. It's much more than an industrial zone- it's a major financial center. Relatively crime-ridden, for a Chinese city (though still far safer than even a small US city). It's cosmopolitan in the sense that everyone is a newcomer (it was a village only 2 or 3 decades ago), but they are 99%+ Chinese from other parts of the country. Scaraoke is something to avoid.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Certainly in employment numbers. Certainly in growth. Maybe in dollars, I'm not sure how to compare aerospace electronics and companies like Celestica vs. $.50 products produced by the containerload and low-value-added assembly of high-end products such as IPODs. Possibly one little high-tech box might represent an entire containerload of their stuff in value. But that doesn't make that city a household name.

For that, it needs a baseball team that can take the World Series, or a World-cup-winning Soccer team or something. Or maybe some blonde chick has to go missing there.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"J.A. Legris" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I'm easy to please, when on holiday. But 14 days in an industrial zone could even be too much for me. I suppose I could combine it with Hong Kong and Macau. Renting a car with a gps navigator (or just buy one locally) and I'm sure I will still get lost beyond imagination.

This sounds okay:

Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

of

Bought a new spectrum analyser from there the other week. Excellent product with a good price. Rest of the world T+M makers beware. john

john jardine

Hello John,

Which one? Got a link?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

product

ge_num-1.htm

john

john jardine

Not a good idea, unless you speak Chinese.

Unless you program your own map, gps data is not widely available there.

Reply to
linnix

Hello John,

Thanks. The link broke but got to their analyzer selection page. Which model did you buy? Looks like wome of them have a RBW that is a bit unorthodix for EMI pre-compliance work. But if the price is right that can be handled.

Did you buy it while over there? Doesn't look like they have dealers (yet).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

um-analyzer/point_id-3000000180073/catalog_id-2000000003844/prod_id-12559/pa

(yet).

No, I couldn't find a dealer either. Just looked at the link and the top left model has changed to a similar item but with screen readout. I got the "SM5011". 0-1Ghz with built in 0-1Ghz TG,

400k/40kHz RBW, 1uV sensitivity, light and portable. Seem now to be on offer all over the place but I got mine via Ebay from a dealer in HK. (Item used to be part of the Hameg range). With carriage and import taxes, total UK price was about £600. Just now looking at their EMC sniffer kit and lusting over a nifty LCR meter they do. john
john jardine

You are not allowed to drive in China anyway, unless you are a resident with the appropriate papers. You *could* drive in Hong Kong, but it's pretty much insane-- gas is extremely expensive, parking is difficult and expensive, and they drive on the "wrong" side of the road for left-pondians. It's a lot easier to take public transit and taxis.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I even take taxis in Melbourne ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Florida, or the other one?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell